Tascam MX2424 SCSI Ext Back Up

Alan? Or someone.. I have been successfully backing-up Tascam mx2424 programs (songs)
to external SCSI drives (2 external drives) for months. I have always, of course employed "Smart Copy" for this operation.

The other day I tried to Smart Copy a new version of a song to External SCSI Drive (ID 1)

As usual, I selected overwrite, because I don't need the earlier versions.

The MX2424 is displaying "NOT ENOUGH SPACE"

Even tho I was fairly certain there was plenty of space, ESPECIALLY for a small overwrite, I went ahead and
deleted a few unnecessary programs on the target drive, External SCSI ID 1.

I also performed disc clean up on both the internal MX drive, and the external scsi drive 1

I am running MX2424 software version 3.10, and I am going to re-install the software right now.

Oh, and when I did disc clean up, it did seem to be cleaning up, but then, all of the Tascam controls froze-up

Still getting the same message when I try to Smart Copy back up.

Any help?

Its displaying the same message when I try to Smart Copy to backup SCSI #2

Thanks so much, any suggestions will be appreciated.

OK,

The not enough space message may have come up because the MX would keep the old version until the new version has been verified, therefore you need enough space to have both versions on the drive. This is more so in Tape Mode, but can still happen in non-destruct mode.

The disc clean up should have cleared some space, but if it hung up it may not have worked, I always take not of the amount of free space on the drive before and after to see if anything has been deleted. It wont delete any files while an old project name is still displaying, only after you have deleted a project manually. Also sometimes depending on the project there may be files for a project in another version of the project, for example if you rename a project some files are still within the old folder or project name. I found this out by accident when exploring an MX scsi on a PC.

The other problem that happens is that there is a registry list within the drive, I have had problems when there are too many projects on a drive even when there is space left over, the problems show as not being able to create a new project, not being able to copy projects, and drives not mounting. This problem actually happens to drives mounted at the same time as a problem drive, so if one drive has a registry problem all other drives mounted have the same problem, why? Who Knows? This is why Tascam recommend low level formatting of drives on a regular basis, this clears all registry folders. How long since you did a low level format?

I don't think re-installing the software will fix a problem this only needs to be done if the MX is not booting before mounting drives.

Try disconnecting each drive, stating with the initial problem drive, see if the other 2 drives then behave, if not try a different drive. Try a disc clean up with only the drive wanting the clean up connected.

If you can still see the projects, back up over the ethernet to a computer, painfully slow, but you will then have a safe backup in case this all goes belly up.

Do you have a PC set up with scsi reading? This is very handy to look into drives to suss out problems.

Let me know how you go.

Alan.

Thanks so much, Alan.. I do always select verify when doing a Smart Copy, so I would assume the old versions aren't being kept.. (?)

**One interesting development** It seems that only this one program (song) produces the 'Not Enough Space' message when I try to Smart Copy it to back up SCSI. Does this tell us anything? I am still able to back up other songs.

Will try disc clean up with other drives disconnected..

PC has no SCSI reading capability.. Tried to initiate that cple years ago, but dropped it for Ext SCSI's

I think just to be safe, I'll just back up via Lightpipe, to my second MX2424, for this one program, just in case
I can't iron this out. The program is on internal SCSI 0, and WAS on back up #1 .. But like an idiot, I deleted the #1 back up, thinking it needed that space, and if the back up was no longer there, it would use the space. No such luck, still said 'Not Enuf Space'

Thanks again, let me know if the fact that only one program seems to be getting this result tells us anything (?)

Thanks so much, Alan.. I do always select verify when doing a Smart Copy, so I would assume the old versions aren't being kept.. (?)

**One interesting development** It seems that only this one program (song) produces the 'Not Enough Space' message when I try to Smart Copy it to back up SCSI. Does this tell us anything? I am still able to back up other songs.

Will try disc clean up with other drives disconnected..

PC has no SCSI reading capability.. Tried to initiate that cple years ago, but dropped it for Ext SCSI's

I think just to be safe, I'll just back up via Lightpipe, to my second MX2424, for this one program, just in case
I can't iron this out. The program is on internal SCSI 0, and WAS on back up #1 .. But like an idiot, I deleted the #1 back up, thinking it needed that space, and if the back up was no longer there, it would use the space. No such luck, still said 'Not Enuf Space'

Thanks again, let me know if the fact that only one program seems to be getting this result tells us anything (?)

I think this is a registry problem, when there is a backup failure often there is a hidden project with the same name in the registry of the drive. Try doing a smart backup but change the name of the backup to something else, like V2 on the end of the name.

I would set up a scsi card on a PC, you can plug the external scsi drives into it and fix problems, like you can delete all the empty registry folders, fix corrupted file names, even format stubborn drives.

Alan.

Darn.. I thought that would do it.. Changed the name when prompted "save as" ... Still says 'not enuf space'

I also have discovered that some othe programs don't back up.. So it's more than just this one program.

I will admit, I usually don't change to a slightly different name when I back up.. I should be doing that.. This problem may be stemming from that.

Shoot.. So happy that both my SCSI back ups were up and running..

And I did try Smart Copy to the #2 ext SCSI as well, with the #1 disconnected. MX recognised the #2 scsi, but still would not let that song back up to it.

So maybe it's a space issue on the SOURCE drive.. The internal MX drive.. Would that make any sense? Like maybe it needs space within that program to perform the Smart Copy(?)

Baffled..

Darn.. I thought that would do it.. Changed the name when prompted "save as" ... Still says 'not enuf space'

I also have discovered that some othe programs don't back up.. So it's more than just this one program.

I will admit, I usually don't change to a slightly different name when I back up.. I should be doing that.. This problem may be stemming from that.

Shoot.. So happy that both my SCSI back ups were up and running..

And I did try Smart Copy to the #2 ext SCSI as well, with the #1 disconnected. MX recognised the #2 scsi, but still would not let that song back up to it.

So maybe it's a space issue on the SOURCE drive.. The internal MX drive.. Would that make any sense? Like maybe it needs space within that program to perform the Smart Copy(?)

Baffled..

No you don't need to use a different name when backing up to a different drive. I only do this if I want an actual copy or there are problems with the backup.

It sounds like the internal dive has run out of space or is low on space.

It also seems that you may be long over due for a low level format, get the backups onto an external drive or via ethernet and low level format the internal drive, you may need to move the projects around and low level format all the drives.

Alan.

That sounds like good advice, thank you.. Believe it or not, I do have a working DVD RAM drive, and blank DVD's, but it's not installed right now. Prefer to keep the backups external, as we've discussed in the past.

I Pulled out the second MX2424, and just finished a Lightpipe transfer, syncing with TL Bus.. A thing of beauty, these machines working together!

Thanks again.. Oh, i know that the DVD back up changes the format.. But in this situation, do you suppose I should go ahead with that as a back up / back up?

I'll figure a way, somehow, to get an SCSI back up, and take your advice on low level format.. Haven't done it in quite a while.

That sounds like good advice, thank you.. Believe it or not, I do have a working DVD RAM drive, and blank DVD's, but it's not installed right now. Prefer to keep the backups external, as we've discussed in the past.

I Pulled out the second MX2424, and just finished a Lightpipe transfer, syncing with TL Bus.. A thing of beauty, these machines working together!

Thanks again.. Oh, i know that the DVD back up changes the format.. But in this situation, do you suppose I should go ahead with that as a back up / back up?

I'll figure a way, somehow, to get an SCSI back up, and take your advice on low level format.. Haven't done it in quite a while.

I have never used a DVD backup, but another studio in town bought one when we bought the MX's new, they found it to be a complete and expensive waste of time, and the discs are expensive as they are not standard DVD's. Ethernet backup is the exact same thing.

Actually an ethernet backup may be able to be done with the drive situation you have as it's not using the scsi bus multi scsi drives to back up, just a thought?

Alan.

Do you mean mx24 to mx24 via ethernet to ethernet (?)

I'm thinking that's not what u mean.. But I'm open to ideas.

No you back up over the ethernet to your PC, it is saved on the PC drive as a .TL project. The PC can't open it but later you can load it back onto the MX. Assuming you use MX View, You open the project page, go to the top, select network back up, the screen will then explore you computer, create a folder to save to, then save. It is slow but it works and you get yet another back up. I usually use it when the project (clients mostly) is finished and I need to free up hard drives. I eventually save the project onto a USB stick later via the computer and keep the usb sticks in a box of projects. I used to save the TL files to DVDs (standard type) but it takes too long USB sticks are quick.

Cheers
Alan.

Just wondering.. Is there anything I can do in MXView to help solve this? I am properly interfaced with the MX2424, via ethernet, with MXView, in a second PC. I don't always use it, but it's up and running just by powering it up.

Hi Alan..

Success! Re-formatted both Ext SCSI Back Up Drives.. Maintained all data and programs on MX2424 internal disc..

Successfully backed up program that was not backing up before..

Your suggestion was right, as far as reformatting, but I was able to get back on track and successfully back-up, by doing so
on the two back up drives.

Will now move MX24 projects to back up drives and reformat internal scsi, just for the sake of general maintenance.

Thanks again, Alan.. After all it took originally, to get my externals up and running, I'm sure glad we got em back to normal. Dan

Glad you got it up and running.

Unfortunately mx view does not see deep enough into the hard drives to let you fix problems like this regarding registry folders and corrupted files, it is good for what it does do however.

Cheers
Alan

Back