Tascam MSR-16 issues

Studentofsound

I am trying to find someone who can repair the MSR 16, provide parts for it, or has a parts machine for sale. I would like to continue using the machine but it is not working correctly when I hit "play" nothing happens it will rewind and fast-forward but won't play.

Where are you located?

When you hit play does the idler roller engage with the tape but not turn?
Is the tape drive spindle turning?
Does the spindle turn when you have no tape on the machine and lift the tension arms?
Do you have a manual?

Cheers

Alan.

Answers to Questions:

1. I am in Cleveland Ohio
2. When you hit play does the idler roller engage with the tape but not turn? NO IT DOES NOT ENGAGE.
3. Is the tape drive spindle turning? YES
4. Does the spindle turn when you have no tape on the machine and lift the tension arms? YES
5. Do you have a manual? YES

Thank you for responding and hopefully, one of these answers leads to the solution.

Can't help with a tech due to me being the other side of the world, but now we know where you are someone else may chip in.

It sounds like all the motors are OK and everything is being driven, there is probably a solenoid that pulls the drive roller into contact with the tape, there could be an internal fuse blown, a loose wire, or the solenoid has died. I don't have access to the manual right now but have a look at the parts breakdown to see what pulls the roller in?

Cheers

Alan.

Thank you again for your response. I tend to stay away from attempting serious electronic repairs as that is not my gift :) However, a fuse I can handle. I am hoping that I did not cause or complicate the problem by cleaning the rubber roller that moves the tape. I thought it might help but may have made things worse as it seems to slip just a bit instead of grabbing.

The cleaning of rubber rollers is a very careful job, I don't clean them. Have a look at Terry's site, he will be you friend if you need new rollers and there is a cleaning section down the page.

Cheers
Alan.

Hello Studentofsound,
I may be able to help you with the unit. I am in the Chicago area (just SW of O'Hare Airport) and I have been working on Electronics for about 40 years. I have a service called Skywave Tape Deck Repair which is very busy at this point as I have been for some time. Who am I and what qualifications? My name is Sam Palermo, Educated to the BSEE level, as well as two Associate degrees in Electronics. Further, I have worked for Teac at the Chicago Factory Service facility up to the close and then for the privately owned service station at the same location called Chicago Factory Service until it closed.
If you do not find anyone to help you out, I may be your answer. I have been getting units in from all over the USA as people learn about me. This is just one of your options. Another is to ship the unit to Russ Bachmann at New Jersey Factory Service. He is a past Teac Service manager and he is still in business. Either of us can fix it and get you up and running again.
If you need to contact me for further details- skywavebe@sbcglobal.net

Many thanks to both options

Thank you so much for your reply and your options. I think the first thing I want to try is to replace the roller on the front as witzendoz suggested. Should that fail, I will certainly send the unit to either you or the other gentleman to have it repaired. It is good to know that someone still works on "vintage" equipment.

Back