TASCAM MS16 - recapping cards

wendyschneider

Hello! I have an MS16 and it's been sitting for about 10 years after having been put away in solid working condition. Six of the channels now have NO LOW END and I am in the process of learning hour to recap the cards for those channels. ANY HELP WELCOME... like where to get the parts.

Thanks! Wendy

I have not seen one in a lot of years but I think they should have used good parts on those for what they cost. I have noticed in my service business some parts that failed and bring to light a grade of part I would not have used in the Tascam deck. This was a 48 deck. I had seen some fuse resistors loose in the deck and when I asked why they came out the answer was they got real hot. Then that led to why- the answer was easy to find- those 220uFd 16V Marcon caps- two on each card. I tested all of then and a good number were going down. I took no chance with the deck going to CT from Chicago and changed them all with 105*C caps from a better known company. The deck works great after that.
Like 10V Electrolytics that have failed in many different products- when I see them out they go, same with Marcon caps- I no longer trust them.
Maybe this is your experience too?

Where- I forgot: I get a lot of Parts from Mouser Electronics in Texas and getting the better grade caps is just a matter of choosing a brand, temperature and hour rating. There are caps there for 1000 hour to 10,000 hour and of course the better ones cost more. Best to use the good stuff as you do not want to recap a board too many times. With a good grade capacitor you should expect another 30-40 years from them. caps do not like to sit unused but like rubber parts like to get exercise.

Who am I? Just some knucklehead that came along? No, I was the last Lead Technician at Teac Chicago Factory Service in Arlington Height IL.

Back