Tascam m520- EQ's, I/O?

Chris Shaeffer

Peavey ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey,

Just when I have a mixer that I *want* on hold and I've got money set aside for it... a Tascam m520 comes along locally for $250. Hell, I figure one can never have too many small format mixers laying around, right?

I can't find any details on the 'net, though. I'm trying to find out how many bands of EQ it has (1 or 2 sweepable mids, hopefully?) and if its i/o connections are RCA or 1/4". Anyone have a moment to fill me in?

Also- 4 sends and returns, right? How does the monitor section work- the board isn't inline, right? Has a different set of inputs for monitoring or some such.

Much appreciation!
Chris

That's an awesome price!

You need to make certain the power supply and cable are included with the board, and then you're good to go.

DO IT!

Huh? You mean 3-band sweepable EQ!

The I/O is mainly RCA, but there's a handy 8X line transformer, that you can patch into to get a balanced I/O output. You just don't find that on any other mixer!

There are 4 Aux Outs, which each provide TWO RCA connectors,... !!!

There are 4 Aux Ins.

There's also an Access-Snd>Rcv patch point on every channel and every buss! This thing has a TON of I/O!

There are 1/4" Line Ins, as well as the XLR mic inputs.

There's switchable phantom power, phase reverse and mic attenuation on each channel. PFL/solo, channel-enable, & EQ-enable switches.

There's Direct Outs on each channel.

The monitor is not inline, it's split,... eh,... to the best of my understanding.

There are 16 general purpose Tape Inputs.

The monitor can be set to monitor the tape or buss.

There are (2) PHONO INs with requisite phono preamps.

I didn't realize the M520 was a small format mixer. It looks pretty damn huge to me. Ever lift one? I have, and it's a bitch! :eek: ;)

You gotta get this mixer, otherwise I'll lose my faith in your sanity. :eek: ;)

The board can be routed 9 ways to Sunday.

Last edited:
Yes,...

and 16 general purpose tape return inputs, phono preamps, OL LED's,... you name it,... it's got it.

The EQ section is 3-band sweepable with EQ-On/Off switch.

Baby! ;)

You'd be a fool not to get that board at $250.

Y'know they sell the 414mkII new for $249, if you'd rather have that. :eek: ;)

Yeah... I figured the "fool" part out already. Already put my dibs in- its mine if no one else called it before I did. I don't usually put my name on a piece until I've researched it a bit, bit I'm familiar with the number "m520" and that's gotta be a rock bottom price.

Not sure what condition its in but the pics look pretty good. Power supply is included.

I can't figure it out from the pics, though. 1 red knob, 2 green, and three orange, 1 white. How do you get all that funcionality out of 7 knobs?!

Hmm... my "family" will probably be growing rather rapidly here soon. :D To many pretty VU meters on that thing not to bring it home. I hope its in good shape.

Oh- small format. A technical term that I got wrong- should be small frame, if I recall. I'm rusty and its late. Yeah- I've had to lug around a Soundtracs 32x8. Its the albatross...er, board I'm replacing. Not mine, huge, not mine, poor metering, aux returns don't work and worst of all its not mine. I don't like relying on other people's beaten up stuff, even if the owner is never likely to ask for it back as long as I need it.

-C

Wait. Concentric knobs? The 2 greens are the 4 sends and the 3 orange are the mids with concentric sweeps?

Red- gain & white=pan.

Do I win? ;)

Chris

You gotta have the power supply and cable!

or you'll have yourself a hundred pound doorstop!

Remember the cable! :eek:

Chris Shaeffer said:
Wait. Concentric knobs? The 2 greens are the 4 sends and the 3 orange are the mids with concentric sweeps?

Red- gain & white=pan.

Do I win? ;)

Chris
Yeah, that! ;)

Thanks, Dave.

I'll give the guy a call tomorrow (today) and see if its up to snuff. I caught the add and emailed my interest only 6 hours after it was posted- these things don't have the market they should so its probably mine. We'll see. ;)

Then I'll have the delightful agony of trying to figure out what to do with 2 studios and 3 mixers. Oh, the horror. I just *hate* having options. :eek: ;)

-Chris

It's an ideal board to mate to the 48!!

I'm pretty sure this board has e'thing you need!

You can't beat the price! ;)

:mad: Ebay special. :rolleyes:

I hate it when the local dorkwads do that and it happens all the time.

Step 1: Put something on Ebay NO RESERVE! anticipating bid profits.
Step 2: Check every 30 seconds to see if anyone bid on it.
Step 3: Get dejected about your auction after day one is over and you have no bids.
Step 4: Reel in dismay when day 2 goes by and you STILL have no bids. :(
Step 5: Put it on your local Craigslist for a little higher than you were thinking of setting your reserve at.
Step 6: Set up appointments with interested buyers.
Step 7: Feel better about your ability to move old stuff and make a profit.
Step 8: NO WAIT! The bid on ebay has gone above your local asking price!!!
Step 9: Be an asshole and not tell your local buyers until they call to confirm their appointment.
Step 10: Inform them of the ebay auction and advise them that they'll have to offer you more if they want to buy your crap.

Oh, well. Guess I'll enjoy the company of my cash a while longer. :) I've usually experienced a high degree of integrity with local sellers. Not this time.

-Chris

Back