Tascam M-35 Help please

Blackdog.sn

Hey,

Hey I just got a Tascam M-35 and am having trouble getting a level. I plug the mic into the input and bus it to one of the subgroups, but i have to turn both the input volume and bus volume full to get see anything register on the VU meter. I also tried using headphones to monitor the what was coming in, but I can't hear anything from the headphones. I have access send and receive connected together.

Any suggestions,
Sam

First, you got an awesome deal!

I'm not sure if there's enough detail to help you, but I'll think about it & reply more later.

Attachments

• Tascam M35j.jpg
    Tascam M35j.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 132
I'm not sure if the jumper on channel 5 looks like it's connected right!

..............;)

Attachments

• Tascam M35k.jpg
    Tascam M35k.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 124
yeah i checked the jumpers and theyre all in. I get a very little signal but only when the volumes are up all the way

edit: I am very new to mixing and the like, so maybe if someone could give me a step by step to testing the mixer to see if it works properly?

Last edited:
The first thing that occurred to me,...

is what mic are you using? By chance, are you using a mic that requires phantom power? I think it would pay to verify the mic source, before going on to patches and settings.

A dynamic mic, or battery-powered electret condensor mic would be fine, but if the mic needs external phantom power,... the M-35 doesn't supply it.

Start at the basics,... then up from there. ;)

Its an old Sure mic from the 70's...The thing is it work well in amps, but not in the mixer. Is there anything else i could use to test the input...like a CD player or something?

Also ensure that PAD switch is set to 0 (zero). Any other setting will reduce the Mic's output dramatically unless you are recording a very loud source like a drum set or loud guitar or bass cabinet.

Cheers! :)

Plug the mic into input/channel #1.
Set the Channel 1 fader to 7-8, the shaded area.
Set the Buss Master Faders #1 & #2 to 7-8, the shaded area.
Set the Master fader to 7-8, the shaded area.
Set the meters to Buss.
Set the Pan to center.
Depress the Assign buttons 1 & 2.
Set the Mic Att to 0.
Use the Trim knob to set the level to 0VU, while speaking into the mic.

That should get the signal from the inputs onto the buss & meters.
Forgive me, 'cause I don't have the M35 right in front of me.
If this doesn't help, I could get the M35 set up, with some effort.

A Reel Person said:
Plug the mic into input/channel #1.
Set the Channel 1 fader to 7-8, the shaded area.
Set the Buss Master Faders #1 & #2 to 7-8, the shaded area.
Set the Master fader to 7-8, the shaded area.
Set the meters to Buss.
Set the Pan to center.
Depress the Assign buttons 1 & 2.
Set the Mic Att to 0.
Use the Trim knob to set the level to 0VU, while speaking into the mic.

That should get the signal from the inputs onto the buss & meters.
Forgive me, 'cause I don't have the M35 right in front of me.
If this doesn't help, I could get the M35 set up, with some effort.
Well the same thing happens..If your speak very very loud you can get the needle to move a little bit. The overload light comes on if you speak very loudly into it. Is there anything else I could use to test this thing? Right now I only have this one mic.

Blackdog.sn said:
I dont see any PAD switch. Is that the name that is given on the M-35?
Sometimes it is called a TRIM and could be on a knob control where at full counter-clockwise, it attenuates the incoming signal by as much as 40db and as you turn this control up, (clock-wise), you add more gain to the input source.

Some mixers don't have a TRIM control and instead offer a PAD switch which might have two or three steps or positions which represent different trim levels on the source. Some mixers offer both switches and trim knobs! :eek:

Yeah the Trim is all the way counter-clock wise and the Mic ATT is at 0. *sigh* Im having serious buyers remorse. Well it still might be the mic...anything else i can plug in there?
Hey but if all else fails blame UPS....i saw the guy drop it as he was getting out the truck...jeeze!!

Keep the suggestions coming. Thanks for all the help

Blackdog.sn said:
Yeah the Trim is all the way counter-clock wise
That's at least part of the problem right there.

When this control is fully at counter-clock-wise position, it is offering little to no gain what so ever to your microphone. Turn that control up to about the 12 - 2 O'clock position along with all the other settings, ARP described to you a couple of posts back. Try a different channel strip too, to see if the same conditions appear.

Blackdog.sn said:
Its an old Sure mic from the 70's...The thing is it work well in amps, but not in the mixer. Is there anything else i could use to test the input...like a CD player or something?

You have a high impedance mic. Try a low impedance and see what happens.

Ok well I don't really have another Mic at the moment :o But i do have a little description of the Mic in question:

Shure Brothers
Model 560
Dynamic Lavalier
Dual Impedance: 200 Ohms and High

Perhaps this a the wrong mic?

Blackdog.sn said:
Ok well I don't really have another Mic at the moment :o But i do have a little description of the Mic in question:

Shure Brothers
Model 560
Dynamic Lavalier
Dual Impedance: 200 Ohms and High

Perhaps this a the wrong mic?

Switch from High to Low impedance and it should work.

Well there isn't any switches on the mic. But the cable comes in two parts. the First half (attached to the microphone itself) has an XLR connection which ive been using to connect it to the mixer. The other half can be added on so the end becomes 1/4". Could that affect the impedance of the Mic?
Im still try to get a mic from someone

It's probably the mic,...

from that description.

Get a mic with an XLR(F)/XLR(M) cable for the mic-to-input connection. ;)

Well, I haven't able to get a hold on another mic but I have another question. If i turn everything up and whistle in the mic, I can make it peak. So if the VU meter registers something.. shouldn't I hear something through headphones? I plug em in turn up the headphone volume, but there is nothing coming through. Is this an indication that my board is messed up, and its not just the mic?

Back