tascam m-30 mixer , anyone no the specs ?

giallos

hi there ,
i am gonna be buying a tascam m30 mixer and was wondering what the specs of this machine was , any aux sends , what eq has it got , that kind of stuff , it will be used with a tsr 8 ,
any help would be appreciated
cheers
ron

i see there are no aux sends so how would i say , get reverb on all 8 channels with one effects box ?
any ideas

I have a brochure on the M-30 and I have transcribed its contents which follow;

The M-30 is an 8-in/4-out console designed specifically for multitrack recording.

The first six input channels on the M-30 accept balanced XLR type microphone input, while channels 7 and 8 have unbalanced 1/4" phone jack inputs that can be used with high impedance microphones and even electric music instruments. All eight channels have RCA pin jack line level inputs and tape return inputs. Any of the three inputs on each channel can be quickly selected by MIC/REMIX/ LINE switches, and attenuation for the microphone inputs can be set to 0, 20 or 40 dB. The M-30 even has two stereo RIAA phono equalizer amplifiers built in. Each input channel also has parametric sweep type equalizers, plus a fixed 12.5 kHz shelving control, a MUTE button, and an assign switching matrix and pan pot which let you send the channel signal to any combination of the four program mixing busses.

The mix level of each channel is controlled by a smooth, noise-free linear fader, and an overload LED located near the top of each fader warns that that channel's input stage is being overloaded. Each input channel further has ACCESS SEND and RECEIVE patch points permitting insertion of external signal processing equipment. DIRECT outputs are also provided from each input channel, permitting all eight outputs to directly feed tracks on an 8-track multitrack recorder. CUE outputs can be used to feed an external mixer if any extra auxiliary mixes of the input channels are required.

The M-30 provides plenty of auxiliary mixing capability. It has a four-channel stereo monitor system, in which each program buss can be panned to any position across the monitor's stereo sound field. It also has a completely independent 8 X 2 stereo sub mixer that can be switched to receive signals from the 8 input channels (pre or post fader) or from the 8 tape returns. The sub mixer feeds a pair of line-level SUBMIX outputs on the rear panel. The M-30's MONITOR outputs can be switched to receive their signal from either the monitor mixer or the sub mixer. This also determines whether the monitor or sub mix signal will be sent to the M-30's internal headphone amplifier.

The level of the four program busses are controlled by a single ganged master fader, and each buss has ACCESS SEND and RECEIVE points. The M-30 even has four precision VU meters with built-in peak LED indicators. The four meters monitor the signal levels on the corresponding program mixing busses, while the second two meters can also be switched to read the stereo monitor and sub mix buss levels.

M-30 SPECIFICATIONS

INPUTS--Mic (-60/-40/-20 dBV) -Line (-10 dBV) -Phono (-54 dBV) -Tape (-10 dBV) -Access Receive (-10 dBV) -Submix In (-10 dBV) -Buss In (-10 dBV) OUTPUTS--Line Out (-10 dBV) -Submix Out (-'-10 dBV) -Monitor Out (0 dBu) -Cue Out (-10 dBV) -Direct Out (-10 dBV) -Access Send (-10 dBV) -Phono Out (-10 dBV) -Headphones (100 mW Ich. max.) PERFORMANCE--Frequency Response: 30 Hz-20 kHz,+/-:2 dB -Equivalent Input Noise:
-122 dB -Crosstalk: 60 dB -THD (1 kHz), 0.07% -Dimensions (W x H x 0): 465 x 160 x 520 mm -Weight: 16 kg

I hope the information helps you!

Cheers! :)

many many thanks for that ghost , much appreciated ,
im still abit confused at how i would get effects on all 8 channels from one effects box bit i will probably figure it once i get the mixer ,
cheers for that
ron

giallos said:
i see there are no aux sends so how would i say , get reverb on all 8 channels with one effects box ?
any ideas
I think you could use the axillary mixing system on the right hand side of the board for that purpose but might have to use an additional small 4 channel mixer to blend the reverbs return with the main stereo outs of the M-30?

Perhaps "A Reel Person" can answer that one as he owns a few of these mixers.

i am seriuosly confused now about this mixer , even debating whether to buy it or not !!

if i cant put effects on each channel , and also , can you pan each channel or can u only pan each bus , so every two channels are panned togther ?

please pardon my ignorance here as i have never used buss mixing before ,

Relax, Dude!:cool:

There are indeed panning controls on each channel and you can create a normal stereo mix with each channel panned the way you wish when it comes time to mix down to a two track recorder.

You have to keep in mind a bit of history about this board and the era in which it was manufactured.

If you can remember back to the early 80's when this board was originally designed and released for sale, stereo, digital reverbs did not exist at that point in history. People recorded reverb naturally from the environment that the instrument was mic'ed in so you placed your microphones according to how much of the room you wanted to pick up versus how much of the instrument you wanted to print to tape.

If it was a critical part that absolutely needed stereo reverberation, you used two Mic's and two tracks of tape to capture the environment,

We are so spoiled by today's digital reverberators that we have completely forgotten our roots and recording basics like microphone/room placement.

This is why real studios had great rooms with great acoustics; To capture natural reverberation.

Thought the M-30 was a basic board, pitched at home recordists, the philosophies were the same as what the big budget studios were working with and is why TASCAM didn't include what we now would consider a very basic feature.

Perhaps the M-30 is not for you? That's for you to decide but, it was and is a very solid and stable mixer and still serves a purpose and usage for those that know what to do with it.

thanks for putting up with me man , hehe

i do know about things like mic placement but this is the first time i will be using an 8 track set up with a old mixer as i been using four trax most of the time ( with aux send !! )
the whole buss thing has me scratchin me noodle abit but i think i will be able to sort it out ,

as for digital reverbs, i am analog all the way man , no digital in my set up , my effects r basicaly a valve comp and a old melos echo box and a joe meek pre , instruments are accoustic drums , bass guitar and some analog synths , jupiter4 and a prophet 600 , and various percussion
but i do like stickin that old melos on everything very subtle , so i will just have to figure a way round that

giallos said:
the whole buss thing has me scratchin me noodle abit but i think i will be able to sort it out ,
The buss "thing" is a way of directing traffic in your mixer and getting the signal from a microphone plugged into any channel to go to any channel of the tape recorder.

Those 1,2,3,4 buttons basically tell the mixer which channel to send the signal to so, you hook up the inputs of your tape recorder to the buss output jacks on the board.

Because the M-30 is a 4 buss mixer and you have an 8 track reel to reel, the mixer gives you doubled sets of buss out jacks to feed all 8 channels on the tape deck.

Buss 1 goes to track 1 on the reel.
Buss 2 goes to track 2 on the reel.
Buss 3 goes to track 3 on the reel.
Buss 4 goes to track 4 on the reel.

Now the tricky part;

Buss 1, second output RCA pin jack, goes to track 5 on the reel.
Buss 2, second output RCA pin jack, goes to track 6 on the reel.
Buss 3, second output RCA pin jack, goes to track 7 on the reel.
Buss 4, second output RCA pin jack, goes to track 8 on the reel.

This hook up gets signal to all 8 channels on the recorder and allows you, by push button, to send the output of a singular microphone any or all of the tape deck's channels to record.

On playback, you patch all 8 channels of the reel to reel back into the tape return inputs on the mixer and switch the mixer's input channels to process the tape returns. This is called the Remix position.

As for processing that echo box that you have, you can feed it from the Aux mix output section on the right hand side of the board to send the desired amount of signal to the echo box and the returning signal of that box is the only thing that I believe the M-30 doesn't have a specific input for unless there are "cascade" or "foldback" jacks on the board which would accept the returning signal from the echo box and blend it with the stereo outs, controllable by the master fader.

Odds are, the M30 will do everything you need it to do just maybe in a slightly different way then what you are used to.

Once you get it, much of this will make sense.

Good luck with your recording projects.

Hello! Thank you!! Again!!!

Dudes,

There's no way I could improve or even comment on GFM's posts, especially since I skimmed over most of it!!! Heh. BUT, I do know enough about GFM, and that he has his head screwed on straight on this Tascam-Analog-thing we have going. His posts are substantial, almost always dead-on correct in every detail, and I stand behind his answers, all the way. GFM and I think in BUSS-LINK-PARALLEL, on most things dicussed here. My homage to GFM for his contribution in substance & volume of great posts. Plus, he's saving me all that time of typing,.... his posts virtually always parallel my own.

That being said,... I'll just recap. Don't crucify me if I'm repeating GFM, I just SKIMMED!

The specs for the M30 are:
-Midsized,

-Heavy,

-Nice VU meters, [4], bank-switchable between BUSS-MON-SUBMIX.

-8-Inputs, 4-Buss [8x4],... [4x2] Monitor,... [8x2] Submix,... [aka 8x4x2x2].

-Mutes on each channel.

-Nice EQ: 3-band w/2-sweepable EQ and one fixed EQ, per channel.

-No AUX or EFF OUTs, but there's MEGA AUX-SND-RCV [RCA] patch points,... one on every channel and every BUSS.

-IMPORTANT: NOTE: All the [RCA] AUX-SND-RCV patch points, running -10dbu line level, MUST be "normalled" together with a 2p-shorting plug [jumper], when not in use, or you'll have a break in the signal chain. The M30 will not work properly without either the 2p shorting plugs in place, or a legitimate effect patched there, on 8-channels and 4-busses, SO ALWAYS score the M-30 Ebay item that HAS ALL it's 2p SHORTING PLUGS, total: 12.

-6-XLR inputs and TWO HI-Z 1/4" instrument inputs, for line or mic.

-HINT: with a 1/4"[F]-XLR[M] ADAPTOR, you may adapt the XLR inputs to handle 1/4" Mic/Line connections, just fine. I'll try to find and attach a pic of the adaptor I'm talking about.

-Dude, this is a really nice sounding board, with lots of tonal and patching flexibility, plus a musical mellowness that's transparent when you want it to be, and pronounced when you want that, too.

-I have 5, yes FIVE, M-30 mixers, so I guess I could rightly be thought of as the guru of M-30's, around here.

-The busses are an important concept of this board, aka subgroups.

-PLUS, a little discerned thing, is that the SUBMIX section actually seems to be the KEYSTONE of this mixer. You may not appreciate that until you've had some use and experience with the M-30, to know what I mean by that. However, it's through the SUBMIX section that' you'll coordinate almost ALL your trafficking, routing and monitoring of LIVE AND CUE signals,... I EVEN MIXDOWN THROUGH THE SUMIX SECTION. Trust me on that. It's a concept you'll have to grasp, as any M-30 owner would.

-SUBMIX is switchable between PRE-fader, POST-fader and TAPE.

-You may patch an effect on one individual MIC/LINE/TAPE channel, or patch an effect on a subgroup mixed set of signals on the BUSS patch points. Simple as that.

-PLUS, another little discerned thing, is that the MONITOR section may be brought into service as a makeshift BUSS-EFF-SEND source, that may be routed back into any of a variety of other patch points, either a channel, BUSS, or SUBMIX,... as long as you always take care not to create an inadvertent feedback loop,... but the great patching & routing flexibility is there, if you need it.

-Two or more M-30's may be bridged together in parallel, on BUSS, SUBMIX, and MONITOR, if necessary, and probably some other creative patching schemes I've not yet considered.

-Take a look at GFM's Studio pics, then mine,... as GFM has TWO M-312B's hooked and running in parallel, to support an MS-16 and Tascam 38.

-NOTICE, on my own studio pics, that I have a ROW of [4] M-30's, at the time the pic was taken, were megaplexed [hooked parallel] to support an MSR-24 track deck, [& since been repatched to support much other equipment].

-Maybe I've not said anything that GFM has not already covered, but that's my 2c.

Plus this: Don't overlook the M-30 for the dynamite value it is, often selling for little more than $100/used, originally a $900-$1000 board in it's time. AND, it's such a rich, wholesome, and outright musical sounding board, with more capability than would meet the eye. Don't forget the bright colors, sporty looks, BIG, generous VU METERS, and sharp wooden side panels!

Nothing says HIFI AUDIO more than WOOD SIDE PANELS, man,...
and you heard it here, first!;)

So, see'ya on Ebay!

'Aye!;)

Last edited:
Dave,

Thanks for filling in the blanks and for the kind words.

The M-30 was indeed a great little board, packed with tons of features and routing possibilities.

The fact that these gems sell on Ebay for around 100 bucks these days make them a hands down winner.

Where the hell have I been for this thread??

Giallos

1st just let me say the GFM and Reel are the Infi-Shiznit-Supremes for M-30 wisdom and have displayed great patients with me when I 1st got my M-30.

2nd ..... best damn $80 bucks I ever spent in recording.

Everthing Reel expounded upon is true as to the virtues.
The mixer is HEAVY.

But think of it more as solid.

The only issues I have is its -10dbu output (thats not hard to deal with) and the lack of a dedicated stereo buss.

If you see one without jumpers you can easily make some.
I went and got some Crap Shaq RCA 6-packs and soldered up some jumpers with some medium guage guitar wire in about 15 minutes .... and I'm slow.

The board sounds good, is clean, has good headroom, and is VERY flexible.

Your original question was about applying reverb to an 8 channel mix.

One solution that I didnt see mentioned is that you could send your 8 channels to BUSSes 1 & 2 (your stereo mix output possibly) and use the ACCESS insert points and and put the reverb across that.

Not the best way but if your adding just a smidgen to get all tracks in the same "room" it could work.

You could also send the 8 tracks out thru BUSSes 3 & 4 to the reverb and return the verb through the BUSS IN-puts.

You will have to play with the fader, buss, and master levels to get a good balance and will need a good output control from the reverb unit.

Or.... assign all tracks to all 4 busses.
Use the 3 & 4 buss insert (access) point to go to and from the reverb and send the MONITOR outs to the stereo recorder whith the MONITOR select set to monitor the BUSSes.

And of course you could use the submixer section.

This is my current use for the board.

I am in the middle of recording a demo for a friend's and had bought a Digitech VTP-1 dual pre for the session (good excuse for more gear).
Returned it the next day because compared to the board's pre-amps the Digi sucked big ass.

Anywho the recording is being done "on location" at the drummers house using ONLY the M-30 pre's.

Use the money you save by buying an M30 to invest in 3 to 6 eight channel RCA to 1/4" snakes and get a patchbay.
Life is easier with snakes and patchbays ..... even if you dont have a lot of outboard gear.

I was recording to a VS880 which records 4 tracks at a time.

We recorded 6 channels of drums.
2 OH's/kick/snare/rack tom/floor tom.
Also recorded a scratch guitar track.

The drum mix (channels 1 thru 6) was assigned to BUSSes 1 & 2 routed to Tracks 1 & 2.
The kick channel DIRECT out was sent to track 3.
The scratch guitar channel DIRECT out was sent to Track 4.

NOTE: the direct outs on this board are POST EQ.
I happen to like that in this case since I had to get a good two track submix versus all 6 drum mics recorded individually.

I also assigned kick/snare/and toms to BUSS 3 which fed my DBX 286 compressor where I crushed the piss outta it and sent that to channel 8 which was assigned to stereo buss 1/2 and floated up under the drum 2-mix fo phatness.

The 880 main outs were fed to channels 7 and 8 TAPE INS and the submix outs fed the headphone amp.

WARNING: Do not hook the recorder stereo outs to channels 1 & 2 TAPE INS and, after listening to the playback of the 1st take and deciding its not good enough, have the drummer go back and play the best take of the whole session only to have forgotten to swich the channels (the overhead channels) back to MIC inputs from TAPE. :eek:

It really sucks if you do that.

-mike

Reel...

How do I gander at your stabel o' fine filly's????
And at the Ghost's for that matter????

I see both your links go to nowhere;)

Also .... and I dont mean to hi-jack a thread...... could you elaborate (Reel) on how/why you use the submix section to mix through????

-mike

I've been posting here for 4 years.

My pix are all over this site. You just have to search the archives for them. I may search and link some more of them for'ya later.

On the other hand, here's a quick few pix of my stuff, handily posted on one thread. Find me on the bottom of page 3 and top of page 4.

See:

http://www.recordingproject.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=420&highlight=

Pardon me, to correct what I said above, the pix show [3] M-30's in a row, [not 4]. At the time, they were multiplexed to support the MSR-24. M-30's are seen on the right-side view of the "studio".

Aye!;)

FZ, man, $80 for an M-30 board is the BIG SCORE, & you'da'man!

Okay. Next question, and hopefully a simple answer:

The M-30's submix is the central traffic flow section of the board, IMO, because it's needed for proper isolation of CUE from INPUTS and BUSS. It has each of 8 submix channels switchable between PRE-fader, POST-fader, and TAPE. Stay with me.

When recording your first primary trax, [and for subsequent overdubs], the SUBMIX is the key section for CUE function, in that you may listen to each individual input as mixed to an 8x2 format.

In the case of your FIRST-PRIMARY TRACKS, [before overdubbing commences], you'd typically have the SUBMIX channels switched to POST-, for your primary inputs. This routes mic/line signals through the MAIN mix channels, and then through SUBMIX. INPUT signals FROM THE MAIN INPUT PART OF THE BOARD are also assigned to BUSSES, of course, and BUSS-OUTS are routed to record-ready & activated TAPE-INs on the tape deck,... as well as the input signals being simultaneously routed through the 8x2 SUBMIX, for cue monitor. At this point you'd probably listen to the SUBMIX on PHONES, in most cases

THEN, WHEN IN THE OVERDUBBING PHASE,... on those trax you wish to monitor from the TAPE/playback section of the recorder, you'd simply switch the corresponding SUBMIX channel to TAPE. THERE, you have your proper CUE mix. In this configuration, you'd likely be listening to some SUBMIX channels switched to TAPE, and other SUBMIX channels switched to PRE- or POST-,... [doesn't really matter, but I prefer POST-].

With SUBMIX channels selected to TAPE, there is NO EQ inline on the tape signal,... just raw tape signal directly from the tape recorder, and into the SUBMIX. It's just cue, so EQ on the TAPE-RTN signals is not important at this stage. Plus, the SUBMIX section controls the PAN, in this configuration, NOT the pan pot on the MAIN channel section.

Rule of thumb, [IMO], is that you'd be best to learn and work a session or flow of recording sequence, by FIRST remembering to ALWAS TRY to keep the MAIN [INPUT/BUSS ASSIGN] part of the board SEPARATE for INPUTS, and the SUBMIX section for CUE, [listen & playback], especially while overdubbing.

[Repeating myself again:] The SUBMIX provides adequate and needed isolation from the signals on the MAIN/BUSS section of the mixer, which is absolutely necessary when recording and especially overdubbing. This helps in AVOIDING the dreadful feedback loop that FZ & I were talking about. Every owner of an M-30 will sooner or later patch the dreaded feedback loop, and it's a lesson to learn on how to avoid this, if not for your equipment's sake, but also your ear's sake. PLUS, if you use the MAIN mixer section for cue,... which can be done, of course,... you'll be in a more complex configuration to consider feedback avoidance, AND THE UNWANTED OR INADVERTENT TRACK BOUNCE situation.

OKAY, on to the main point: To REMIX through the SUBMIX section, you'd simply switch the SUBMIX channels to POST-, and then switch each of your MAIN INPUTS to RMX [remix, or TAPE-IN]. THEN, you'll be routing the TAPE RETURNS FROM THE TAPE DECK, THROUGH THE MAIN PART OF THE MIXER, COMPLETE WITH EQ, MUTE AND FADER INLINE, and THAT RMX-EQ'd-MAIN-CHANNEL SIGNAL would then be routed SECONDARILY through the SUBMIX section. Submix, in this case, would be more like a "master" stereo section, to use this term loosely.

HINT: In this configuration for mixdown, the SUBMIX LEVELS, PAN POTS and SUBMIX MASTER POT are active, inline to your final mixdown signal. Pan pots on the MAIN CHANNELS will NOT be active in this mixdown example, nor will the MAIN-MASTER-FADER be active or inline, in this example.

PLUS, I'd recommend SWITCHING THE VU METERS to submix to get a handle on overall stereo level and balance of the SUBMIX section, so as not to induce any unwanted distortion in the SUBMIX section itself, inadvertently.

Honestly, that's how I work, for the most part, and you'd probably not be surprised by my summation, to then learn that I use the 4x2 MONITOR section VERY LITTLE. But, it's there if you want it, for a separate and external BUSS-MONITOR mix, if you need it, or, as I said before, as a handy BUSS-EFF-SEND port, if you so choose.

DUDES, those are my current thoughts and explanations on the M-30, it's use and virtues. NOTE: NOTHING I say is cast in stone, as-law, or anything,... and there's probably other good patches, configurations, or creative uses for each of it's sections, that I have not covered or even thought of yet. FZFILE found how his patches and methodologies work best for his sessions and goals. MUCH of this setup and patchwork is situationally dependent, of course.

I will add, in closing, that I've dialed you in on many of these concepts of the M-30's use in studio recording, and you should really read it and then get hand's on with the M-30, to really appreciate fully what I've laid on'ya.

It seems easy to sum it up, and lay it all down in one or two handy memos, but these ideas and concepts I've detailed have come from 21 years of first-person, hands-on use of the M-30, and I'll admit, that I'm cutting you to the chase on things that may have taken me [perhaps] years to learn. THAT's WHY I'm known for saying that there's more to the M-30 in flexibility-terms, than meets the eye. I've been there,... had the successes, and made the mistakes, too.

I guess one great point not to gloss over, is that all this SUBMIX and MAIN MIX switchable flexibility was an ingenious design concept of TASCAM's, from the '80s, that was driven toward the idea of switch-function routing of signals, thus eliminating all the traditional CABLE repatching that would be necessary on most of the other contemporary boards of the time. Other basic boards of the time would require a physical repatching of cables to switch between the main/cue/remix functions, but the M-30 and subsequent Tascam mixers streamlined all that with TOGGLE SWITCHES.;)

Another relevant point to NOT gloss over, is that there's a DIRECT-OUT jack on every channel, which helps in handy or creative routing situations, no doubt, especially the occasional 8-track-simul-recording to tape,... of which you'll be obliged to use at least SOME D-Outs, because the M-30 is a 4-BUSS board. You get 8 BUSS OUT jacks, but they are 4-groups of 2-jacks, in parallel. I hope that's a clear enough point to make, for your enlightenment. D-OUTs are a handy way to expand the in-out-routing flexibility of the M-30 mixer.

That's a moderately long memo, jammed full of tips and tricks. I hope it's not too long, and that I've been clear enough on all points. Ask me more, and I'll tell'ya more.

That's a lot of techy stuff that's best to be read carefully, and contemplated over some hands-on use of the M-30 board, for it to really soak in & make sense. Hope that helps, & good luck!

Last edited:
WOW!!!

Testify.
Testify!! brotha man.

That is a lot of info that makes total sense and anwers many questions I had and also many I hadn't though of yet.

Thank you very much.

Nice set up.
It's like the set of the Reel-Master.

What did you go on a spree at the Tascam Circa 80s Gear Blowout Extravaganza ???? :)

Nice.

All the colors.

Very sweet set up also Ghost.

I am at a crossroads (in more ways than one) and need to upgrade my recorder.

I am leaning towards Adat HD.
But its hard not to condisider a SIAB ..... like the 2488 for the bang-for-buck factor.

But I think the Adat HD (or similar) would be better in the long run.

Either way I am looking to expand on the M30 for more channels.

How does the M1600 compare to the something like Ghost's M312??

-mike

I Will Testify,...

to the M-30 being an underrated mixer, on first glance. On closer inspection, the M-30 brings tremendous sound value.

Yeah, dude, I have the setup, eh? I'm constantly hitting the 80's-Tascam-Gear-Blowout,... 24/7,... it's called "Ebay/Tascam". C'ya there, a'ight! Yeah, the colors, and all the wood sidepaneling says "hifi audio", all the way. Nice, man!

I'll agree, that the 2488 does give a tremendous bang for the buck, and is well worth the new street price. Of all the gearboxes out there now, I think I like the 2488 best, just on overall value. The Tascam 2488 raises the bar a bit on features and price value, over Roland & all the rest, for sure. You never know, I could eventually get a 2488 myself, just for a kick, and that's not beyond me to do that, I'm sure.

I already have 2 HD-Porta-format units, the Fostex FD-4 and FD-8, both good sounding machines. Then there's the 564 MiniDisc Portastudio, that too,... ooh!

However, in my case, I'm already heavily enough entrenched in vintage analog Tascam gear, & for the relative time I actually record, is easily a lifetime's worth of equipment, and more. Plus, I'm somewhat still loyal to Tascam, FWIW. Analog gear is my first love, true.

I don't need the 2488, for an upgrade, really. If/when I want to do 24-trackin', I just need the inspiration, time of day, & will to throw a reel up on the MSR-24, & go for it. I could, however, someday buy a 2488 on a lark, so you never know. It's the 24-HD-SIAB you want to have, at this time, IMO, and it's an authentic Portastudio!

The M1600 is a big upgrade from the M312B. First, is that it's 8-buss, and the M-300 Series is 4-buss. That's a big difference. The EQ's different, and frankly, I like the M-300 class EQ better. The whole design of the M1600 is a more modern scheme, with LEDs, & such. I'm sure it's an adequate and fine sounding mixer, if you dig the styling, but I think the better upgrade to the M312B would be the M520. Check out the M520, 500 Series mixers & Model 50, too. I would not buy an M1600, but I have bought the M520, but YMMV. The M520 turned out to be a fixer, repair/TBD, but that's another story.

Back to the M30,... it's small, but it packs a punch in value, especially at today's bargain basement deal prices. It's no M520, but it's a very capable and good sounding board, and all that I've already said, above. There's more to the M30 than meets the eye, sure, yeah, but hey,... who am I foolin'?

It's not rocket science! Heh.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Back