tascam fw1082

undergroundtoon

the good the bad and the ugly.

I have been waiting for a week for this to get delivered. I read the manual :rolleyes: many times. Got any pointers to share? I have yamaha 50m monitors, at2020, and a sure sm58 with nothing to plug them into. just bored

first of all, you plug the 1082 into the firewire on the computer. then you plug in a mic into channel #1 and see if it works.

isn't the anticipation killing ya?

thinking about all the crazy tracks you're gonna lay down once it comes in!!!

i've got the 1884 and i love it! what software are you going to use to record?

Sonar uses the FW1884 control surface DLL such that most of my 1884 buttons work as expected within the software. It took me a while to "un-mouse" but now that i've gotten use to having a real mixer again, i get things done so much faster using the console to select tracks for recording and to fly around and select ranges and do cut/paste.

my only word of caution:
the input jacks on these tascam units is made of plastic and will break if you are not careful.

I got it!!!!!!! the controler and recording fever!

I LOVE THIS THING!!!! I took it out of the box loaded all of the drivers(it came with1.5) and pluged it in. When i hit the power button all of the lights lit up and the faders started moving. my eyes went wide and my jaw droped :eek:. I about ...... deleted dirty talk.......
I downloaded and printed the manual 2 weeks ago. I read it everynight at work and thought i knew what i was doing. WRONG It took me 4 hours to get sound to come out of my yamaha 50m's. I searched and searched(here and the tascam website) to figure it out. I knew their were 3 main controls: computer,midi, and mon mix. When you switch these aplications the faders moved too!!!!!!!!! awsome. I was going to post a question on how to get sound, But i thought i would get flamed. Turns out it was set on computer(f1) and not both (f3). i tried every button on it except them.
Then i could not get the thing to arm a track(i still cannot). Every time i tried holding the record button(the red one in the middle) and the sel button the only thing i would get is a short red light on track 4 and 5. After another 2 hours i learned i could just use the cubase rec button on the computer to start recording. I think i need to re-install the driver. It pops up "your new hardwear may not work corectly" when i start up cubase le. I set the device driver in the tascam control panel to cubase le. In cubase i went to -device setup- then i went to vst multitrack and set it up to asio fw-1082(it does not say anything about 24 bit?). Then i went to all midi inputs-add/remove and added the mackie control. After that i switched over to setup. The midi out and in only give me the choice of all none or a long list of giga ports? no option to call up the mackie although the mackie showes up on the left of the screen under devices? I think i am in the dumb ass part of the learning curve at this rate by 2010 i will have this thing mastered. lol. OH well i am sure i will figure it out.
I have 2 mics pluged in: at 2020 and a sm58. 2020 on 1 and the sm58 on 2. I also have the phantom power on. I guess the phantom goes to both mic's but some of the post i have read last night said it was ok. I set the trim on the 2020 at 1(on a clock) and the sm 58 at about 5:30. The sound is very clear. Since i was here by myself and could not be in my sound both and my control room at the same time i put a cheap am/fm radio 10 inches away from the mic. On the 2020 thru my monitors it sounded as if i was listening to the boom box itself VERY CLEAR AND CLEAN!! I am very impressed, But then again i am a dumb nuby and this is my first recording so i was prob over impressed. One of my friends came over today and i put him in the sound room. I recorded about a 1 min clip of him talking. His voice was cristal clear but at higher volume(loud) i could hear some white noise. I think a good pre will clean this up a bit. In the encoders and controls part of the panel i recorded at 44.1. What do you guys normaly record at(clock speed)? also do you mess with the: eq gain, eq freq, eq q, and pan? I have yet to touch these. So much to learn so little time.
How do i save a track as a wave file? I used -saved as- on the recording i did. That didnt turn it into a wave file thou.
That being said if this thing breaks i will buy another one. I want to master it before i move on. My next buy is a good pre amp. :D

crosstudio said:
isn't the anticipation killing ya?

thinking about all the crazy tracks you're gonna lay down once it comes in!!!

i've got the 1884 and i love it! what software are you going to use to record?

Sonar uses the FW1884 control surface DLL such that most of my 1884 buttons work as expected within the software. It took me a while to "un-mouse" but now that i've gotten use to having a real mixer again, i get things done so much faster using the console to select tracks for recording and to fly around and select ranges and do cut/paste.

my only word of caution:
the input jacks on these tascam units is made of plastic and will break if you are not careful.

I am not sure what i wil use to record. I need something that is compatible to the 1082. In my search last night i came across a couple of post that said some are more compatible than others. I LOVE MUSIC. I GOTTA HAVE IT ON ALL DAY LONG OR I DONT FEEL RIGHT ;) , but i did not buy this to make music. I got it to record voice over for my cartoon i am making. I figure i will need 3 programs. one to rec voices and set them up track per track(dialog) into ONE 15 min file. One to mix and clean it up adding background noise(cars passing by etc.) and one to master it. I want to keep this as dumbed down as i can because i have a time frame on this of 4 years(start to dvd release).

Here is the kicker. I want to have my end product in 5.1 surround. i will need a program that asigns sounds to speakers. For example a car passes by. i want to make the sound grow louder in the left speaker. then shift (at the same volume)to the right speaker. Then fade down. I.E. what you will hear will sound like a car going by. The 2 rear channels will only be for added sound effects(no voice). Hopefuly i can just add them in the master stage of the game(not the mix).

I was thinking about just using cubase le for the recoring(if i can). for the mix maby acid pro 6(if its easy). for the master sound forge 8(if its easy). total cost $850 . This is just a thought thou. My friend has adobe audition 1.0 and says i can come over and use his if i need it. I know nothing about this program or it purpose thou. Maby their is a good all in one for me but i doubt it.

I am not a pro so i need to keep it simple as possible. the programs i have now were all free: cubase le, giga studio 3.0, audacity, reaper. This is my list so far (for sound). I know i need more, But i am not sure what? Any advice from anyone would help me out, but dont blow smoke up my ass, please. I do not need something super advanced. I need something that has an easy learning curve. AT THE SAME TIME THE END PRODUCT HAS GOT TO SOUND GREAT. I want the viewer to step into my world and get lost in my story. In a GOOD cartoon you should be able to listen to just the sound with your eyes closed and understand exactly the world you are in. The actual drawings are just a visual expression of the sound to greater tell the story.

Last edited:
i haven't used a plethora of software products for music. i've been using cakewalk (in its various versions) for the past 16 years. i am currently using Sonar v5.

i have also used SEKD Samplitude.

Sonar works excellently with the Tascam FW line.

Back