Tascam DP32SD or Tascam 16X08 and Reaper

TukkTaylor

Which would everyone recommend? If you give an opinion, please give some reasoning behind it. I know computer specs matter for whether the DAW will work properly.

I have an acer aspire e 15
E5-521-23KH
4GB DDR3 L Memory
1000GB HDD

I have a setup pretty close to the one you mentioned (maybe lower) for live tracking. Computer specs aren't that important (these days) just for tracking. If you kept the same mixing capabilities on the computer (type of plugins) that you would have on the DP32, you would have no issues. You could even have more options on the computer than on the DP32, but you would be limited at some point. That point is hard to say.

I would guess on a computer, you could easily do 16 tracks, some reverb and compression with no issues. If you became good at resource management (using routing, sends etc. and didn't just put plugins on each track but managed them, you could really have a lot of capability. Even with a low end computer.

I hope this was somewhat helpful.

If you anticipate you'll be doing anything with keyboards and MIDI, go in the direction of the Tascam 16X08. The older Tascam 2488NEO Portastudio that I have has MIDI ports which can be used in a limited way for MIDI, but not for MIDI sequencing, which a DAW such as Reaper would do easily (once you get the hang of it). The current DP24/32SD series has no sort of MIDI functionality at all. The Tascam 16X08 appears to have DIN MIDI connectors that would accommodate older keyboards, as well as some newer MIDI controllers with DIN connectors.

The Tascam US1800 headphone output level sucks and I ended up getting a cheap headphone amp, which wasn't a bad thing as it gave me 4 headphone outs versus just the one the US1800. Hopefully headphone out on the 16x08 has a bit more output level.

I've liked the Portastudio concept as I've been using for most of my life back when 4 track cassette tape machines were hot and I've progressed that way with upgrades of various machines to the 2488NEO that I have now and a Zoom R24 (super portable battery operation and can be used as a USB interface) that was added recently for a price I couldn't resist. I did buy a Tascam US1800 interface a while back when it had a rebate and I've using it occasionally with Reaper when the mood strikes me right. Reaper is a good DAW, but I often get stuck trying to figure out how to do something that I usually have to take a time out from recording to Google what I want to do.

DP32SD will give you fairly easy tracking, usable effects that can't be expanded on like with plug-ins and edit functions that won't match what a DAW could do. What you do in the DP32SD can be transferred to the computer and Reaper for tweaking and final output, but this process is an additional step. A few times I've bought my 2488NEO to a friends house to do some recording. Unless you have a laptop, doing this with a desktop is more of a challenge.

I'm not too keen on using a mouse in Reaper, so I picked up one of these to give it more of a Portastudio feel.....
Korg nanoKONTROL2 - Black

Actually a bigger version available now...
Korg nanoKONTROL Studio

I have no interest in using midi, and I honestly doubt I would even use many plug ins. I'm mainly looking for which would give me the cheapest, FUNCTIONAL, set up to at least record a full drum kit running 8 mics. Emphasis on the functionality. I know I can get a decent drum sound without the need for 15 plug ins on each track.

My main concern is if I would be limiting myself by going either direction. Mobility, while not a must, is something I would like, so I could take my set up to someone else's place to record tracks.

---------- Update ----------

And thank you guys for your responses.

I just don't want to use the 16x08 and have 8 tracks running for drums, a bass, 3 guitars and go to record a 4th guitar track and have everything bog down and hitch up. I know I can get all of the tracks I want onto the DP32SD and then dump them and just do all of my mixing in whatever DAW. I just don't want to be on my 10th take of a lead, and finally be nailing it only to have the computer hitch up on me. I guess it just makes me nervous to think about moving to a computer since I've always worked on stand alone units. I am not the type of person that I would add 8 plug ins to a guitar track.

Back