Tascam DP24 High Z

C4th

Hi.
Im trying to record guitar direct with the DP24. My set up is guitar>Blackstar HT40>Palmer PDI03(cab sim)>Dp24.
The problem is, the DP24 manual says that when using guitar direct with nothing in the chain, the DP24 should be set to "guitar", but it says if something is put in the chain, set it to "line"
Iv tried both and the guitar sounds flat and muffled when set to line, but when set to "guitar" sounds better to my ears.
My worry is, could i damage my DP24 or anything else? and basically does this sound the right way to do it?
Thanks, any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi.
Im trying to record guitar direct with the DP24. My set up is guitar>Blackstar HT40>Palmer PDI03(cab sim)>Dp24.
The problem is, the DP24 manual says that when using guitar direct with nothing in the chain, the DP24 should be set to "guitar", but it says if something is put in the chain, set it to "line"
Iv tried both and the guitar sounds flat and muffled when set to line, but when set to "guitar" sounds better to my ears.
My worry is, could i damage my DP24 or anything else? and basically does this sound the right way to do it?
Thanks, any help would be much appreciated.

I assume you are connected to input "H" on the DP. The main purpose of the line/guitar switch is to pad the signal due to the guitar signal is usually hotter than a mic input. What are your gain levels when set to guitar? If you are connecting the guitar directly to input H, set the switch to guitar, you could blow out the preamp if you overdrive the signal. Thanks

You're not going "blow out" anything! It's likely that when set to "guitar" it actually adds gain since a guitar is expected to be lower than line level. So what you hear is louder, and possibly (probably?) has some added harmonic content from distorting the preamp, and therefor it sounds better to you. First step is to make sure that you're comparing the sound at the same acoustic volume to make everything fair. Then, if you still like it with the "guitar" button pushed, then use that. Ignore the "rules" and go with what sounds best.

Thanks for reply. Yes im connecting to input H, guitar>amp>palmer>DP24. Does that sound right?
Do you mean i could blow the preamp if set to guitar?
Thanks

The signal output from the "Palmer" should be at line level out, so there shouldn't be a need to move the switch to guitar. I believe the "guitar switch" is for plugging a guitar directly into the DP24 and using the built in guitar effects engine; the "guitar switch" must just boost the signal level up closer to line level.

I record guitars using an 11Rack in at line level all the time; as a matter of fact I use G&H as effect returns in the "buss" section for my effects rack equipment (some Lexicon PCM & Yamaha SPX units) and haven't used the onboard effects yet.

You're not going "blow out" anything! It's likely that when set to "guitar" it actually adds gain since a guitar is expected to be lower than line level. So what you hear is louder, and possibly (probably?) has some added harmonic content from distorting the preamp, and therefor it sounds better to you. First step is to make sure that you're comparing the sound at the same acoustic volume to make everything fair. Then, if you still like it with the "guitar" button pushed, then use that. Ignore the "rules" and go with what sounds best.

What I was referring to is it sounds like he has a FX unit or some other box in the guitar chain, this could possibly be another source of input gain. And yes, you can blow a preamp, anything electronic can be blown or over driven. You are correct on the line/guitar setting, I had it backwards. Thanks for the correction. :facepalm:

And yes, you can blow a preamp, anything electronic can be blown or over driven.
Unless one or the other device is already fucked, you can't really hurt one with the other. It might sound like shit, but it won't be permanently damaged.

Back