Tascam DP24 file import

Findlay

I'm about to buy a DP24 and wonder if someone can please help me. I have a DP01 and DP08ex and would like to import WAV files I've recorded on the earlier models, as well as WAV files created on a DAW. These are all mono files. The question is, would I be able to import the mono files into the stereo channels of the DP24 or do you have to have stereo WAV files for this? And can you then pan the sound in the stereo strip? Also, the manual states that a 32GB memory card is the max you can use - has anyone tried using anything larger, say 128 GB?

The DP-24 has a combination of mono and stereo tracks. All of the stereo tracks can be converted to mono with the "push of a button".

You can pan the mono tracks. Panning of the stereo tracks is really a *balance* control.

I can't recall hearing about someone using a card bigger than 32GB. However - and more importantly - card size is more or less irrelevant because moving song/track data back and forth from a computer is a snap. There is absolutely no need whatsoever for a huge amount of card storage. It's simply not necessary.

Hope this helps.:)

Thanks for your help. I guess I'm still not sure if I will be able to import mono WAV files into the stereo tracks of the DP24. I have a number of recordings made on a DAW that I'd like to transfer to the a DP24 so I need to be sure. Say I have 16 mono tracks on the DAW - I can see that I can transfer 12 mono tracks easily enough to the 12 mono channels on the DP24. But can I transfer the remaining 4 mono tracks to the DP24 easily, since these are stereo channels. Do they accept mono tracks or will I have to go through the daft performance of converting them to stereo first?

The reason I wanted to know if it accepts 128 GB cards is that I have all my recordings backed up on one and would like to be able to read from this.

Yes.....you will have no problem dropping mono tracks into the 6 stereo tracks on the DP-24. Refer to the manual.......but the process is VERY simple.

As for using the 128GB card you have......you will not be able to put that card directly into the DP-24 and read / import from it if it has not been formatted for the DP-24 first......as I recall. Assuming your 128GB card has wav files on it that you want to import..........you can just import those files to the DP-24 using a PC and the DP-24 USB connection to that PC. Again.....the process is very simple and the reverse............moving your DP-24 song files to a PC.......is equally simple. Back up and storage of those files can be done a number of ways.

Respectfully - there is nothing "daft" about switching any of the 6 stereo tracks to mono. After converting the 6 stereo tracks to mono - the DP-24 is essentially a 18 MONO track recorder. It's this simple:

1) create a new song - make sure that the bit rate and sample depth match that of the tracks your wanting to import

2) press the "Assign" button to enter the Assign screen and simply toggle down to any of the six stereo tracks... and select the one(s) you want to convert from stereo to mono.... then simply press the "st/mono" button

3) then import the .WAV files using the "Audio Depot"

Bottom line.... YES - you can do what you're wanting to do.

As far as SD cards... one of the KNOWN aspects of these recorders is that they are finicky about which cards will work smoothly and trouble free. It is highly recommended that you use the cards that Tascam/Teac recommend.

If you've got a bunch of song data on a 128GB card... just move that data to a computer and load the songs onto the DP-24 card as needed. This is a safe way to operate, anyway.

I've been working with the DP for years now and deliberately keep just one, two, or maybe three songs on the card at a time. It's good practice to safeguard your song data this way. I rarely pull my card out and simply use the USB link feature to move data back and forth.

One last thing for this post: The single most important thing you can do for yourself once you purchase your DP-24(SD) - is too watch this tutorial series. *ALL* will be clear with Mr. Tippings outstanding series of videos. He also offers an *excellent* .pdf how-to manual for $40.00.

YouTube

Last edited:
You're very welcome.

And please excuse me - I see now that I misunderstood when you said:

Do they accept mono tracks or will I have to go through the daft performance of converting them to stereo first?

:rolleyes:

I've just looked at some of Mr Tippings' videos - they are outstanding, thanks for the link! It seems you can import mono WAV files into either channel of the stereo strip - this would be a great use of the stereo channels as I hardly ever record in stereo. The idea is to work further on my existing recording using the DP24. I wonder how the pan control would then work if say I only had a WAV in the left channel of the stereo strip? - would I be able to pan to the right as well or would it just alter the volume hard left?

I can't decide whether to go for the DP32 for the extra channels. I prefer the DP24 at the moment as it has 12 mono channels compared to the 8 mono channels on the DP 32. Does this make any sense?

I haven't tried it - but if you can import a mono source track onto a stereo track of the DP (why would you do this if that same stereo track can be changed to mono before importing?) - then the pan control should still act as a balance control - so you would not be able to pan it left or right. This is why you would typically want to set a stereo track as mono before importing your mono source track.

As far as number of tracks on the 24 vs 32:

The DP-24(SD) has 12 mono tracks and 6 stereo tracks. Since the 6 stereo tracks can be converted to mono - this would give you a maximum of 18 mono tracks.

The DP-32(SD) has 8 mono tracks and 12 stereo tracks. Since the 12 stereo tracks can be converted to mono - this would give you a maximum of 20 mono tracks.

The machines are identical in function. The 32 version simply has more tracks to work with.;)

Thanks again. I'm still confused about if you can change the stereo tracks on the DP-24 to mono - I think I remember from the Tippings videos that only the DP-32 has a switch for this - have you tried it?

When you set a stereo track to mono it pans left or right in the same way as normal mono tracks then?

Thanks for the heads up on the differences. I think I'd still prefer the DP-24 if it can easily change the stereo tracks to mono.

I'm looking at the DP-24 and DP-24SD manuals.... and see that you may have a point. I did not know this - but it does look as though the DP-24(SD) models do not have the option to switch the stereo tracks to mono. Sorry about the confusion.

I own both the DP-32SD and DP-24 (I've just never used the DP-24). I was under the impression that they were identical except for track count/configuration. It appears I was wrong about that.

You may want to consider the DP-32SD.

And yes.... when you convert a stereo track to mono on the DP-32SD - the pan control works normally as you would expect it to.

Thanks again - it looks like it will have to be the DP-32SD, which is a shame as I like the idea of having 12 normal mono tracks and the price is considerably more than the DP-24SD here in the UK. So I guess you have haven't tried this out on your DP-24? And even then the SD version is probably different......

Thanks again - it looks like it will have to be the DP-32SD, which is a shame as I like the idea of having 12 normal mono tracks and the price is considerably more than the DP-24SD here in the UK. So I guess you have haven't tried this out on your DP-24? And even then the SD version is probably different......

First... just want to apologize for the confusion about that difference between the 24 and 32 models. Other than that - I'm pretty sure there are no other significant differences. I own a DP-24 (original non "SD" model number). I found one cheap and bought it - but I have not actually used it - so I was unaware of that difference.

For clarity's sake: The primary difference between the original (now discontinued) DP-24/32 models and the current DP-24SD/32SD models is that the latter do not have CD burner or MIDI capability. Other than that the older version and the newer are pretty much identical in features, routing, etc.

One more thing... you may have misunderstood this: You are NOT at a disadvantage with the DP-32SD because it has only 8 mono tracks. All of the 12 stereo tracks can be set to mono . Therefore you have MORE mono tracks with the 32 than you do with the 24? Follow?

Also - there is a dedicated Tascam forum if you want to ask more questions there. A google search will get you there.

Thanks for all your help on this. That is a good way of looking at it - that because the DP-32SD tracks can be set to mono you have more mono tracks than the 24. You were lucky to find a cheap 24, there doesn't seem to be much around over here! I'll take a look at the Tascam forum - I tried using it a few years back but didn't find it nearly so friendly and helpful as this forum.

Just another thought - I've read that there has been a fair amount of criticism of the pan function on the DP32 - that it doesn't have a physical knob for each channel, just one knob that you have to activate each time for every channel. Has anyone found this to be problematic or can you live with it?

I have heard that criticism before. Typically from people that do not own one. I have not heard *any* regular ongoing negative feedback about the pan control being dedicated to the *selected track* by owners/users.

Simply put - the Tascam DP-24/32(SD) series - like any recording platform - has limitations. However, there are so many "work-arounds" to the limitations that I just don't give it any thought anymore... and spend my time creating music.

Folks whine about this or that... at the end of the day.... I continue to find it absolutely remarkable to have the power and tools in one stand alone machine that costs approx $500-600 (US) - that is the equivalent of many tens of thousands of dollars of pro studio gear back in 1980. What a wonderful thing it is to have this technology available to pretty much everyone.

Thanks again. Very well put. I'm going to buy one of these wonderful machines. I only wish I could afford the Model 24 - it looks terrific. And from what I understand you can even use it to control a DAW.

Thanks again. Very well put. I'm going to buy one of these wonderful machines. I only wish I could afford the Model 24 - it looks terrific. And from what I understand you can even use it to control a DAW.

Keep in mind - the Model 24 and the DP-24/32(SD) series are quite different. Both have many features that the other does not. They are meant for quite different purposes. And this:

New Tascam Model 24: Reactions? | Page 3 | TASCAM Forums

Hi PorterhouseMusic. I'm Just about to buy a DP32sd but just wonder if you could help on a few more things? I saw a post that suggested you have to stop playback to use the pan control. I need to be able to do this dynamically on mixdown! Also are the pan settings stored when you save the song?

Last edited:
Back