Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tascam DP24 file import

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    I'm looking at the DP-24 and DP-24SD manuals.... and see that you may have a point. I did not know this - but it does look as though the DP-24(SD) models do not have the option to switch the stereo tracks to mono. Sorry about the confusion.

I own both the DP-32SD and DP-24 (I've just never used the DP-24). I was under the impression that they were identical except for track count/configuration. It appears I was wrong about that.

You may want to consider the DP-32SD.

And yes.... when you convert a stereo track to mono on the DP-32SD - the pan control works normally as you would expect it to.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PorterhouseMusic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks again - it looks like it will have to be the DP-32SD, which is a shame as I like the idea of having 12 normal mono tracks and the price is considerably more than the DP-24SD here in the UK. So I guess you have haven't tried this out on your DP-24? And even then the SD version is probably different......

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Findlay View Post
    Thanks again - it looks like it will have to be the DP-32SD, which is a shame as I like the idea of having 12 normal mono tracks and the price is considerably more than the DP-24SD here in the UK. So I guess you have haven't tried this out on your DP-24? And even then the SD version is probably different......
    First... just want to apologize for the confusion about that difference between the 24 and 32 models. Other than that - I'm pretty sure there are no other significant differences. I own a DP-24 (original non "SD" model number). I found one cheap and bought it - but I have not actually used it - so I was unaware of that difference.

For clarity's sake: The primary difference between the original (now discontinued) DP-24/32 models and the current DP-24SD/32SD models is that the latter do not have CD burner or MIDI capability. Other than that the older version and the newer are pretty much identical in features, routing, etc.

One more thing... you may have misunderstood this: You are NOT at a disadvantage with the DP-32SD because it has only 8 mono tracks. All of the 12 stereo tracks can be set to mono . Therefore you have MORE mono tracks with the 32 than you do with the 24? Follow?

Also - there is a dedicated Tascam forum if you want to ask more questions there. A google search will get you there.

Thanks
    Thanks for all your help on this. That is a good way of looking at it - that because the DP-32SD tracks can be set to mono you have more mono tracks than the 24. You were lucky to find a cheap 24, there doesn't seem to be much around over here! I'll take a look at the Tascam forum - I tried using it a few years back but didn't find it nearly so friendly and helpful as this forum.

Thanks
    Just another thought - I've read that there has been a fair amount of criticism of the pan function on the DP32 - that it doesn't have a physical knob for each channel, just one knob that you have to activate each time for every channel. Has anyone found this to be problematic or can you live with it?

Thanks
    I have heard that criticism before. Typically from people that do not own one. I have not heard *any* regular ongoing negative feedback about the pan control being dedicated to the *selected track* by owners/users.

Simply put - the Tascam DP-24/32(SD) series - like any recording platform - has limitations. However, there are so many "work-arounds" to the limitations that I just don't give it any thought anymore... and spend my time creating music.

Folks whine about this or that... at the end of the day.... I continue to find it absolutely remarkable to have the power and tools in one stand alone machine that costs approx $500-600 (US) - that is the equivalent of many tens of thousands of dollars of pro studio gear back in 1980. What a wonderful thing it is to have this technology available to pretty much everyone.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PorterhouseMusic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks again. Very well put. I'm going to buy one of these wonderful machines. I only wish I could afford the Model 24 - it looks terrific. And from what I understand you can even use it to control a DAW.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Findlay View Post
    Thanks again. Very well put. I'm going to buy one of these wonderful machines. I only wish I could afford the Model 24 - it looks terrific. And from what I understand you can even use it to control a DAW.
    Keep in mind - the Model 24 and the DP-24/32(SD) series are quite different. Both have many features that the other does not. They are meant for quite different purposes. And this:

New Tascam Model 24: Reactions? | Page 3 | TASCAM Forums

Thanks
    I see what you mean! Think I'll stick to the DP32.

Thanks
    Hi PorterhouseMusic. I'm Just about to buy a DP32sd but just wonder if you could help on a few more things? I saw a post that suggested you have to stop playback to use the pan control. I need to be able to do this dynamically on mixdown! Also are the pan settings stored when you save the song?
    Last edited by Findlay; 02-14-2019 at 02:18.

Thread Information