TASCAM DP-01 System Error

alexfaker

I have a system error 4 appearing on my TASCAM DP01. All functions are completely disabled. I fear this may be linked to the memory being full but I'm unable to delete material as all functions are disabled. I have 6 months worth of work recorded and am rather concerned it will be lost. I've emailed the TASCAM helpdesk and had no response (as yet) Surely it's not possible that all my work is lost? Is it? I'd be very grateful for any advice. :confused:

DP-01 System Error

:confused: Just to increase my ever growing sense of panic I entered DP01 system recovery and came up with three Amazon reviews from owners of the DP01 with a similar problem. It seems none of them could retrieve the data following hard disc problems. I find it hard to believe that this data could be irretrievable. All is not completely lost as I'd been backing up rough mixes as I went along - however, can 40gb just disappear?
:eek:

shit, i'd rather lose my wallet. i feel for you. i can imagine the sinking feeling of losing your babies. let us know.

TASCAM fiasco

Updates to the Tascam DP-01 fiasco. Things do not look very promising. I've been unable to find any instances of anyone succesfully retrieving their data once one of these fatal messages has appeared. TASCAM are clueless and have little or no idea what the message means. I haven't poured coffee in it/dropped it/exposed to vibrations (although next door has been playing Bryan Adams record at rude volume) My crime appears to have been to fill the flipping thing up with songs. I know it was naive of me not to back up the thing but I fell into the trap of believing "it's a hard disc recorder - if all goes completely belly up I can always go to a data recovery agent. 40 gb can't just disappear". Well, oh yes it can - what a piece of s*** (it's been called a lot worse over the last few days) I guess the inevitable awaits me - the return of the recorder with it's memory erased. Still, rest assured I will not be using it again - I've lost all faith in it. Don't trust it - back up all your songs now and find some other means of recording your stuff. :mad:

A hard place to be, man.
But what are you gonna record on? Almost anything you might record on uses a hard disk, and that will crap out sooner or later.
If you use a HD recorder, back up regularly.

Orc

Very old thread, but still comes up first when searching for "Tascam DP-01 Error" or "Failure". I had the dreaded system failure where the system would not get past the start up message. It was stuck on "Now Working...."
Here's the thing... the drive has been corrupted. You can remove the drive and replace it with another and you're good to go. The data on the corrupted drive could be recovered and put on a working drive if it's not too damaged,...you would have to get your techie friend or pay (likely) big bucks.
Replacing the drive is actually quite easy. You need an IDE DRIVE. These are the old 3.5" PATA (not SATA) interface drives with the 40 pin connector. You MUST set the jumper on the drive to "master". I bought 3 different drives, a 40Gb, a 160Gb, and a 320Gb. They ALL work in the DP-01.
Just unplug the unit, turn it over on its face, placing it on a cushioned surface. Remove the screws and take the back cover off. The drive should be obvious to find. Unplug the 4 pin (smaller) power cable, and the 40 pin (larger) data cable. The drive is held in place with brackets that have rubber mounts. It's easiest to unscrew the mounting screws on the brackets and lift the whole thing out, then take the brackets off and attach them to the new drive. Check the label on the new drive to see how the jumper should be configured for "master". Install this new drive, reattach the cables, just use a couple of the screws to attach the back plate until you have tested it, and turn the unit over.
Plug it in, and turn the power switch on. You should hear the drive spinning up and see the DP-01 start creating files. IF you see "HDD not found" then either your new drive is crap or its not set to "master".
Voila, you have your rig back!

Everyone tells me how good digital is and I remind them of just such events where great amounts of work can be lost in the blink of an eye. I tell people all the time to back up their data on a server with more reliable drives. As Chief Engineer at a radio station I was called down to find a USB drive on the floor clicking.
Did the guy back it up on the servers he had access to? No. Retained his data NO.
When people are warned and do not listen they learn this way. Do they back up after this? That is another question to be answered.

Very old thread, but still comes up first when searching for "Tascam DP-01 Error" or "Failure". I had the dreaded system failure where the system would not get past the start up message. It was stuck on "Now Working...."
Here's the thing... the drive has been corrupted. You can remove the drive and replace it with another and you're good to go. The data on the corrupted drive could be recovered and put on a working drive if it's not too damaged,...you would have to get your techie friend or pay (likely) big bucks.
Replacing the drive is actually quite easy. You need an IDE DRIVE. These are the old 3.5" PATA (not SATA) interface drives with the 40 pin connector. You MUST set the jumper on the drive to "master". I bought 3 different drives, a 40Gb, a 160Gb, and a 320Gb. They ALL work in the DP-01.
Just unplug the unit, turn it over on its face, placing it on a cushioned surface. Remove the screws and take the back cover off. The drive should be obvious to find. Unplug the 4 pin (smaller) power cable, and the 40 pin (larger) data cable. The drive is held in place with brackets that have rubber mounts. It's easiest to unscrew the mounting screws on the brackets and lift the whole thing out, then take the brackets off and attach them to the new drive. Check the label on the new drive to see how the jumper should be configured for "master". Install this new drive, reattach the cables, just use a couple of the screws to attach the back plate until you have tested it, and turn the unit over.
Plug it in, and turn the power switch on. You should hear the drive spinning up and see the DP-01 start creating files. IF you see "HDD not found" then either your new drive is crap or its not set to "master".
Voila, you have your rig back!
Will this drive work on the dp01fx?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220626-210239.jpg
    Screenshot_20220626-210239.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 3
Back