Tascam DA38 to Mackie Pro16v3 &12 Prov2

ProLeadGuitar65

Just wondering what kind of adapters I can use to hook up both of these mixers or one of them to the Tascam da-38 , I have several recording options with different machines but this Tascam is an excellent condition and when I'm able to move my band around I want to be able to use all the recording atmospheres as backup.

Last edited:
In order to use a DA38 with all of it's channels you need a 8 buss mixer and those Mackie products are not that. If my memory is correct from working with like products in the past in radio they are stereo or 2 channel devices only and so two mixers will only get you half of the inputs to a DA38 which I might ad is a 8mm format that has no parts available so what you put on those tapes can be locked on there for good when the machine goes dead. You would be much better off with a Tascam 8 channel reel as there are lots of those still working around. There is little chance to fix 8mm or DAT tape decks when heads go bad. They are all helical scan drum devices.

Well I hate to say it but I bought it from a guy that I trust all his work that da38 is in immaculate condition it works like brand new and I already bought it so it's not much I can do about it now but I want to know is can I hook it up to my computer then with the right interface I'm pretty sure I can I'm wondering if a moto 828 firewall audio interface would work let me know ? thanks.

Well I hate to say it but I bought it from a guy that I trust all his work that da38 is in immaculate condition it works like brand new and I already bought it so it's not much I can do about it now but I want to know is can I hook it up to my computer then with the right interface I'm pretty sure I can I'm wondering if a moto 828 firewall audio interface would work let me know ? thanks.

The 828 is way overkill for that but if that is what you have it should work fine. It is not bad to use better stuff that what you need but to use worse equipment will lead to problems. If you have a 828 you should just need to figure out the hookups and maybe have to make some cords. In Radio I have to make cables for some equipment as Radio Consoles did not have XLR inputs for everything but then the DA38 uses RCA.

But my da-38 also has the balance cable collection in and out eight channel as well as the RCA this is why I suggested that interface and I have other ways of recording but I like to use it until it starts giving me problems Just to check out how much longer it will last.

The balanced outputs on the da38 are +4 line level and will probably overdrive a Mic input on an interface. You will need to use the line inputs on the interface to hook it up.

If you are going to use the da38, just make sure you back everything up. They break without warning and there aren't many of those machines left to transfer any of your work.

I know I've read a lot about the adapt machines now that's one thing I never used in my life I have used a lot of real to reels CD recorders hard drives four track players but never had an a dent machine I'll just use it till it breaks or just keep it calibrated and demagnetize until it fails again then probably put it on the shelf but I can still use the interface to the computer for a lot of other recording if it comes down to that.

PS I really appreciate your advice since you're a technician you know all about these things and I do realize what you say I've been around a very long time I think I'm only a year older than you anyway thanks again very much.

You may have already solved this but in case, I had 2 DA38's connected to my old Digi001. 8 channels line in and the other 8 via the optical input using a Tascam IF-TAD adaptor. Plenty of interfaces have lightpipe I/O. That way you can go into your computer all digital.

Back