tascam analog mixer with eight effects inserts

n0fd

I have a TASCAM M-108 mixer with eight mic channels, but only four of those channels have effects send/receive jacks. I'd really like to find a TASCAM mixer of similar vintage having eight channels that each have an XLR-in, a 1/4" mic-in, a tape-in and direct-out, and a send/receive effects insert for each of the eight channels. Did TASCAM ever build a mixer like that? I've seen a Teac 5 TASCAM mixer on ebay weighing 65 pounds that hase those connections, but that's too big for me. I saw an M-208 but I can't find out what connections it has. I saw a 1016, but I don't know what connections it has either. I haven't been able to find manuals for them on-line. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

The M208 and M308 would accommodate your needs, offering all the features you asked about.

There are others too like the M1608 of which I have no direct experience with. The two I first mentioned, I have both used in the past and can vouch for their quality.

Cheers! :)

The M-208 has an XLR mic in, a 1/4" line in, a 1/4" insert, and an RCA tape in on each of it's 8 channels, the bigger 200 series boards are the same but still only have dedicated tape inputs on the first 8 channels I believe.

If you want to have the direct outs as well as the inserts, a 300 series board would do the trick, but they are quite a bit bigger/heavier than the 200 series.

n0fd said:
I have a TASCAM M-108 mixer with eight mic channels, but only four of those channels have effects send/receive jacks. I'd really like to find a TASCAM mixer of similar vintage having eight channels that each have an XLR-in, a 1/4" mic-in, a tape-in and direct-out, and a send/receive effects insert for each of the eight channels. Did TASCAM ever build a mixer like that? I've seen a Teac 5 TASCAM mixer on ebay weighing 65 pounds that hase those connections, but that's too big for me. I saw an M-208 but I can't find out what connections it has. I saw a 1016, but I don't know what connections it has either. I haven't been able to find manuals for them on-line. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)
Hi, Ghost-of-FM,

Thanks for the helpful info. I think I'll buy an M-208 and give it a try. My hope is to plug 8 mics into the mixer, come out of the mixer at the effects insert point, send the 8 seperate signals to either the terratec system on my PC or to the Teac 8-channel half-inch open reel deck I have, then return to the mixer through the 8 effects insert jacks and use the EQ, pan and faders on the EQ to mix down when I need to. Normally though I'd use the digital mixer software on the PC for the mixdown. Anyway, this would give me the 8 seperate mic preamps and I only need one mixer to do it. Is there any rack mount for either the M-208 or the M-308? I'm hoping that there is. Thanks again for your help.

n0fd

Hi, Strrydel,

Thanks for your helpinfo as well. I think that I could use the 200 series board. Like I wwrote in a follow-on, I'm hoping to connect 8 mics to the board, come out of the board after the mic preamp, go to multichannel PC sound card or 8-channel open-reel deck, then return back into the mixer still with 8 seperate channels, and then use the rest of the mixer to mix, especially to send signals to peoples' headphones while they are recording. I think I can make the 200 work, as long as the 1/4" insert jack is a combined send/receive jack like it is on the M-108. If that is true, I should be okay.

n0fd

The M208 was rack mountable but it did not come with the ears as standard equipment. Instead, they offered the mixer with genuine imitation black wood side panels which are removable via 2 screws on each panel.

The ears are hard to find these days as the parts are NLA at TASCAM's parts department but, if you hunt around a bit on eBay and elsewhere, you might get lucky and find one with the ears included by the re-seller.

Keep in mind too that the 200 series mixers do not include phantom power so if you have any microphones that require it, you will need to purchase an external PS unit which are readily available at most music shops that sell recording gear.

Cheers! :)

Hello again, Ghost of FM.... Say, that is something I had not thought about .... phantom power for condensor mics. I'm using AKG D-190 mics mostly now, and a shure PE-566 gold colored mic, I think it is, and an AKG D-200e, and a couple of senheiser mics. You have a very important point there. What about a TASCAM 1016? It has 8 XLR and 1/4" mic inputs and the send/receive effects insert jacks for the first 8 channels. The remainder are line-level only, I think. But it might have phantom power. I don't know. Perhaps I could jury-rig some rack-mounting ears with parts from a hardware store somehow.... hmmm.... Do you know if a 1016 includes phantom power? It costs more but it might save money in the long run.

n0fd

Back