tascam 688 mixing problem

michaelfish

Does anyone here have a tascam 688? I've just got one recently and after using it a few times and reading the manual front to back, I think I now know how to operate everything. Theres just one stumbling block for me, and anyone who uses this machine may be able to explain. Track one for some reason wont react to the fader when mixing. Its always there, on the meters and in my ears, when I bring the fader up it gets louder, but when I bring the fader down, its still there, no matter what way I set the "scenes" .This is the same with stuff I've recorded previously (on a 488 and 238) and also with new recordings done on the 688. It has me stumped. Every other channel/track is fine, just track 1. When I switch to the cue moniter however, and turn off group 1+2 (stereo left and right) -track 1 is fine- ie- it reacts properly to the cue pan and volume controls, as do all the other tracks.
I'm beginning to think that it must be a fault with my machine, as I've exhausted all other possibilities. I'm thinking maybe a previous owner may have overloaded track one or somethin and ..well ..I dunno. I know there are a few users of the 688 out there and I'd be interested to know if any of you ever experienced this. I'm rackin ma brains here, and I hope its just somethin simple I'm doin wrong.
I've been using a tascam 788 for a few years, cant wait to get rid of it and go back to analog recording, but this has thrown a spanner in the works. thanks for any advice.

The 688 is awesome & highly capable.

Your problem is not common. Just based on your description, I'd think that maybe the Channel-1 fader is bad, & isn't attenuating down to "0" (off) like it should. I dunno, that's just a guess, but it doesn't seem common, & it doesn't seem like anything you did. Your troubleshooting & description seems solid.

Maybe it's just a bad Channel 1 fader,... is my best guess. :eek: ;)

I've got a 688. I tried using it for a week and found myself hitting more buttons than recording. I would take the first $100 that came my way to get ride of it. Sounds like it might be the channel though...

scott

Yeh, I know what you mean, but compared to the 788 and other digital systems its easy to use, and the meter bridge is a touch of class, almost feels like a proper professional studio mixing desk. If I cant sort out this problem tho, I'l probrobly get rid of it, go back to the 488 for now. Thanks for your help anyway guys.

Back