Tascam 688 Midistudio? Advice????

Revmuddy

Hi everybody...I have a chance to get a one-owner 688 for 2 or 300 dollars...I understand that they are said to be a little bit complicated and hard to learn to use...but I love the warm analog tape sound and since my thing is Blues......anybody got any advice?
I still have the same rig I've always had which is the Alesis XT-20, Tascam 424 MKIII and Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro...but the idea of 20 inputs and a nice looking meter bridge built in is attractive...I know that there are a bunch of people on here with experience with this machine...would you please post some of your thoughts and experience...Thanks Rev. Muddy :)

Here's a sample of my gwitar work..http://www.dennisdullea.com/

check it out!

Last edited:
I'd say get it.

That's a competitive price as long as the 688 is in basically fine condition, but make sure to get the manual, or you'll be perplexed for days on setup and running it! :eek: ;)

I can't say I have much experience with the 688, but the quick test recording I did to all 8-tracks simultaneously sounded really nice.

I think it's a fine machine that makes the most of that format. ;)

hey muddy,
i own a 688 for one year now and all I can say is: if it's working correctly, by it for under 300 and try to get the manual as reel said (can't help you with that, no scanner). After I bought i I immediately recorded a record for two friends and they where very very pleased with the result (and I did'nt use any expensive mics and no outboard gear at all). Before I receorded the album I only had experience with an old fourtrack and after the first day I was comfortable using the 688. I record with it every week and I will use it untill it dies...Bobby

Thank you both for your kind and wise comments....I hope to snag it for 200 or less.....But I am willing to go to $300...It's a one owner from the guy who bought it new at GC in 89.
Does anyone remember what the retail was on these? I've seen $1,500.00 all the way to $3,000.00!
I would like to have an idea anyway....Thanks again, Reverend Muddy :)

Back