Tascam 688 - Main/Dual input problem

toxako

I have just set up my recently purchased 688.

I am trying to set it up to record 8 simultaneous channels to 8 different tracks on the tape. I have created a new scene which assigns input 1 to group 1, input 2 to group 2, input 3 to group 3 etc.

I am using synths and drum machines, so everything is connected to Line B inputs. I have set the MAIN INPUT on each channel to LINE.

The problem seems to be that the 688 will only see the LINE inputs as DUAL inputs, even if I have set the MAIN INPUT for each channel to LINE (and to make sure, I have set the DUAL input to POST). For some reason, all the inputs I have connected comes through 'group 1-2' and get mixed togehter into one track when recorded, rather then being recorded separately on individual tracks.

In the monitor section, I will only hear the live inputs if I press down the 'DUAL' button, which is strange, as I have set all the MAIN INPUTS to LINE, and DUAL INPUTS to POST. Or if I set the scene up with DUAL LINK to 'Group1-2', I will also hear the live inputs. All of this seems to indicate that the 688 is unable to take the LINE B inputs as the MAIN INPUTS, and will only take the as DUAL INPUTS.

I have sucessfully played back a tape from the previous owner with 8 separate tracks playing simultaneously, I have personally only been able to record 3 separate inputs mixed togehter into 'group 1-2'.

Apart from setting all the MAIN INPUTs to LINE (which doen't seem to do it for me), is there a trick to getting the 688 to taking the LINE B inputs as the MAIN INPUTS to enable me to record 8 separate track simultaneously?

Scene 10, should in theory work for me. As I want to use the 'Line B' inputs, not the MIC inputs, I have to change this scene. I change the MAIN INPUTs for all channels from MIC to LINE, and change DUAL inputs to MIC (just to disable the DUAL 'Line' inputs).

I am however unable to get any sound on the inputs when monitoring. In order to hear what's coming in on the inputs, I have to change the DUAL inputs to LINE.

This leads me to the following conclusion:
All the Line B input connectors at the back, are hard-wired to the DUAL input section. When assigning the MAIN inputs to LINE, this simply means that you are using the MIC inputs with a XLR-to-phone adapter, basically connecting your line inputs into the Mic inputs with an adapter.

My solution would be to get 8 XLR-to-phone adapters in order to record on all the 8 inputs simultaneously on the Mic inputs.

I was hoping the 'Line B' inputs would allow me to record and route each input to corresponding tracks on the cassette, but this does not seem to work for me

so is anyone else able to successfully record multitrack sessions using line inputs only on the 688?

Thanks! The manual seems to indicate that the LINE B input can be used as the main input for multichannel simultaneous recording, I don't get why I can't get 'em coming in on the main input..?

Hi everyone

Sorry if this is slightly off topic! but i could really do with any advice or assistance you guys can offer.

As i have a Tascam midistudio 688 as well, but my mate thought it would be a good idea to elbow drop the screen, and he did a good job at breaking it. So now im looking for a replacement screen part, or another 688 to buy. Ive emailed Tascam and there gonna get back to me.

Any help would really help me, as its such a great piece of kit

Thanks

Nic

Back