Tascam 4x4 or 18x08?

mjbphotos

Since one of the main outs stopped working on my US800, I am starting to shop around for a replacement. I've got an adapter from one of the headphones to my monitors, but there's a noticeable buzz/hum.

Thinking that both of these models may go out of production because they have a new line of interfaces? the 4x4 is no longer being offered at Sweetwater.
I don't need more than 4 inputs, and with my older studio computer, probably should not think about the 16 input model.
Only real concern is I see in many reviews people having issues with the drivers. I'm running Win 7, what do you think?

I have heard a few folks having issues with the drivers as well. But I ran the older version on Win7 and was very stable. So, not sure why others are having problems.

One thing I will tell you, I was having some trouble with mine a few months/years (not sure), so I started booting my computer with the unitt off and then turn the unit on after the OS is up. I have not had any trouble since then.

I think the older like I have uses the same driver as the newer ones.

I stopped using my multi-input Tascam 1600 series interface when something happened with Windows and the drivers. I'd have to power it down and back up every 30 minutes or so. Perfectly stable, then something happened and I needed to redownload drivers often older versions. I really like the sound of the Tascam - it seems to add nothing. It also seems that everyone has slightly different driver issues that are difficult to replicate. I don't understand it, but I gave up in the end, just too annoying.

While I know I can always return for refund (Amazon), a concern is the 4x4 is going out of production, so may suddenly become unavailable. I wanted to hold off until March as I will be busy in February with FAWM (February Album Writing Month), so maybe I should jus get it now.
Never had any driver issues with the US800.

I'm running the 16x08. There were issues with drivers several iterations ago. The latest driver (3.02) has been perfectly stable for me on Win 10. The 16x08 isn't that much more (you can get one for about $250 new), and the driver software has EQ and compressors if you want to use them. What you don't have is access to optical audio inputs.

The new Series208I lets you add a couple of SMUX inputs. It has EQ, compression and reverb built in. It also includes Cubase and some other software that the 16x08 doesnt include. (I'm sure that was done to keep the price lower) Surprisingly it onlys specifies USB, not USB 3. It also does 192k audio, but I don't find that to be necessary.

I wouldn't invest a lot of money in a USB interface today. In 2-4 years everything should be moving to Thunderbolt because of the improved latency of the format, something that even USB3 can't match.

I'm running the 16x08. There were issues with drivers several iterations ago. The latest driver (3.02) has been perfectly stable for me on Win 10. The 16x08 isn't that much more (you can get one for about $250 new), and the driver software has EQ and compressors if you want to use them. What you don't have is access to optical audio inputs.

The new Series208I lets you add a couple of SMUX inputs. It has EQ, compression and reverb built in. It also includes Cubase and some other software that the 16x08 doesnt include. (I'm sure that was done to keep the price lower) Surprisingly it onlys specifies USB, not USB 3. It also does 192k audio, but I don't find that to be necessary.

I wouldn't invest a lot of money in a USB interface today. In 2-4 years everything should be moving to Thunderbolt because of the improved latency of the format, something that even USB3 can't match.

I'll be running Win 7, that's the concern. NO desire to upgrade to 10 as it will obsolete some programs I still use regularly.

Don't care about included s/w as I use Reaper.

I read that USB 4 and Thunderbolt 3 will use same connectors, it'll be a long time before I worry about more USB adapters!

USB3 is not of issue for multiple tracks. I run 24 without any issue ever with W7. I do not see why or how Thunderbolt will take over. It is not necessary for connectivity with an audio interface in the home recording realm. That is the least of the issues with bottlenecks in how computers deal with audio. Hell, I ran USB2 with 16 tracks for years with a Tascam US 1641/1800. The speed of the input is not an issue with audio interface connection.

Dude, MJ, I would ditch the Tascam and go with something better IMO. I ditched the Tascams long ago. Found the Stienberg ones much more reliable, cleaner and headphone amps are way better.

UR44

Dude, MJ, I would ditch the Tascam and go with something better IMO. I ditched the Tascams long ago. Found the Stienberg ones much more reliable, cleaner and headphone amps are way better.

UR44

That's funny, because I got the US800 form you! Been a workhorse for 8(?) years. The UR44 is way more money than I want to spend, but I am interested in alternatives.

Jimmy,
Its not just the connector issue.

The issue of USB3.1 vs Thunderbolt isn't one so much of data rates, but how the protocols are implemented. Thunderbolt supports PCIe and Displayport protocols and is peer to peer, vs the master/slave format of USB3 and below. Its a more efficient protocol.

USB4 is based on the Thunderbolt3 specs, and add the PCIe and Displayport capability, and is supposed to be compatible. One issue with Thunderbolt is that it currently has to be licensed from Intel, which means some people might try to bypass that licensing fee by limiting the full implementation of the spec.

It may eventually be like AMD vs Intel, different ways to get to exactly the same point.

Oh, I can get the 4x4 for $165 from Amazon (easy returns), so will probably go for that at this point. The only other AI I see with (at least) 4 inputs is the Behringer 404 for $175, and I do try to avoid Behr stuff, even though it is better now than it was.

Back