Tascam 488mkII Tape Head/Eraser Head will not retract

julianchang

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone might know what can cause the tape head of the Tascam 488mkII to not retract?
Right now, I can fast-forward and rewind with no problem, but when I press STOP or PLAY or PAUSE... the machine slowly stops, I hear the motor try to move the tape head down, but it wouldn't. Then, the RECORD + STOP + PLAY leds all light up and start flashing. Even if I power off and power on the unit, the tape head is stuck on the "high" position.

Thanks in advance for any information you can share!

Julian

I have a 4 88 Tascam I bought of E bay , the rewind & the fast forward works but the play button starts the tape to move then it stops any answers ? Thanks in advance

If its anything like my 122 MkII the up/down is driven by a belt. Check to see if it is slipping. The 122 also has an adjustment pot on the cassette board labled "stop". With the deck in the stop mode this pot "R547" when adjusted raises and lowers the head assy and is adjusted to move the assy to it's lowest position. If it worked okay before check the belt before adjusting. Before working on anything always verify that the power supply voltages are normal since the power supply isw usually the cause of most problems. ie. wrong or missing voltage and/or ripple. (caps)

Back