Tascam 488 record 8 tracks at once?

Chill

I'd like to do a live recording of my band with the ability to completely mix and master it later on (i.e. adjust levels and EQ on each track individually). The 488 looks like it has 8 inputs, but can the 488 record on all 8 tracks at once?

Yo Chill:[Up there in apple country]

I just looked into my 488 MKII manual and it only can record 4 tracks at once.

The 488 was a nice box; I had two of them; however, the digital technology is where you should be looking. You NEVER have to wait for the tape to rewind with a digital SIAB.

Green Hornet:D :p :D :cool:

The 488 MKII can only record 4 tracks at a time. Tascam made a few other 8-track cassete machines that COULD record on all 8 tracks at once (the 688 & the 238 syncassette). That said, you can record your whole band playing live onto 4 tracks. There are 20 inputs on the 488, which means you can hook up to these and then assign them to 4 tracks. Of course, this means you'll have to do a little pre-mixing, but you'll still be able to do it.

Better yet, get a decent soundcard such as the Delta 1010 (?), which would allow you to record 8 tracks into your computer simultaneously.

Thanks for the input. :D It may be time to look into digital recording or the multi-input soundcards!

Back