Tascam 488 Question

Benreturns

Ive had my Tascam 488 for ages now and am pretty proficient on it. One thing that hsa just occured to me - can i record stereo to a single track?

For instance now i record 2 drum tracks from my sampler with the left output from the sampler going to track 7 line-in on the 488 and the right out put going ot track 8. I then pan hard left and right respectivley. This gets all the stereo imaging of hi-hats/claps or whatever which are floating about all over the spectrum, but it reduces my tracks somewhat (and i dont like bouncing). I just wondered perhaps if using the stereo inputs (the ones where my outboard effects return to at the moment) i could get a stereo track on one channel. So i could pan track 8 center and still have all my stereo sounds pinging around my speakers.

Im guessing no, but worth a try! Any experts?

Sorry, the only way to go stereo is to use 2 of your tracks as you mentioned.
One thing I do to save tracks though is to play the bass guitar line along with the drum track in stereo. That way I've only used 2 tracks but still have my drums in stereo too. Of course once you do that ,you can't adjust volume or EQ separately, and you need to be well rehearsed.

Stereo denotes two tracks, by definition.

However, you could center-pan your two stereo sources and record them to MONO on one track. ;)

ok sounds inetersting...

... but wouldnt the 1 mono track still not let me have for instance a different high hat in each ear. I dont mind how it gets there. For example this drum track had a couple of bits where the crash symbol is hit then using delay -it 'bounces out' in each ear alternativley. Could i get that one one track?

Back