Tascam 488 MKII Won't Power Up

Elvisish

I recently moved house and when I powered up my Tascam 488 MKII, nothing happened. Nothing at all, I plug it in, turn it on and no lights or anything come on. It was working before and I'm not sure whats happened.

Is this a problem that can happen in transit, like somethings come loose? Has this happened to anyone else? I would certainly appreciate some help getting it working again.

Elvisish said:
I recently moved house and when I powered up my Tascam 488 MKII, nothing happened. Nothing at all, I plug it in, turn it on and no lights or anything come on. It was working before and I'm not sure whats happened.

Is this a problem that can happen in transit, like somethings come loose? Has this happened to anyone else? I would certainly appreciate some help getting it working again.

Power supply fuses, power supply problem. Should be easy. No power really makes my repair work a snap.

Replace fuses - even IF they LOOK and MEASURE OK!

OK? I have seen them act as current limiters even though I checked them with an ohmmeter! True!

Just replace them.

Measure 120vAC is going into the unit.
Measure all DC voltages. For the unit to be dead, all or most DC voltages must be gone.

If thry are, look for burnt caps/regulators etc. Use a schematic for the unit.

Good Luck and don't shock yourself.

Have the beers after you fix the unit, not while fixing the unit.

Thanks for advice, I opened it up today and I think I've found the problem. One of the springs had broken on the tape door hinge and I didn't realise it had fallen inside and was lying on top of the phantom power circuit so when I switched it on it must have zapped the connectors and goodness knows what else inside there. I don't suppose anyone has any idea what might of happened and what can be fixed?

I would appreciate some suggestions if there is a way of fixing it, thanks.

On a slightly related note, my Porta02 won't power up -- hasn't worked in six years. Tried replacing the fuse, no luck. Any ideas?
-Zac
PS I know, reviving an old thread... sorry.

Elvisish said:
Thanks for advice, I opened it up today and I think I've found the problem. One of the springs had broken on the tape door hinge and I didn't realise it had fallen inside and was lying on top of the phantom power circuit so when I switched it on it must have zapped the connectors and goodness knows what else inside there. I don't suppose anyone has any idea what might of happened and what can be fixed?

I would appreciate some suggestions if there is a way of fixing it, thanks.
Geez, that sounds like the kind of weird shit that happens to me. I guess I'm not the only one god hates. Good luck fixing your unit. :o

Back