Tascam 488 mkii effects issue and dead channels

Henryrozich

Hello first time posting here, I have a tascam 488 that I’ve been messing around with and I have two problems. One (the biggest issue) when trying to plug in effects insert two does nothing and insert one crackles a bunch and channel ones audio stops going to the monitor. I kinda got a effect to work a little with wiggling the plug around but audio stopped playing on channel one. Problem two channels 2 and 6 won’t record any audio nothing shows on the meters and I can’t hear anything on the monitor channels 1 3 4 5 7 and 8 all work fine. If anybody can point me in the direction of how to even start solving these problems (especially the first one) I would greatly apreciate it.

Last edited:
The deck needs work from a professional. I just worked on a 488 last night that had all kinds of problem from broken RCA and 1/4" jack outputs and dirty switches as well as needed a new belt oiling and a recondition of the pinch roller. I rarely have channel out on these things and in the past few weeks I have has 6 of these in the shop bit 488 and 488 Mk II..
Some people plug in things an blow out the first amps in these as thety are only powered with 15V supply.
I know where it can be fixed not that I need more work.

Back