Tascam 4308 Belt Locations

WHTLVR

I just acquired a Tascam 4308. No motion on the reels when I pressed play. I opened it up to check the belts, and found a load of black goo, and no belts. My instinct says its ectoplasm and the thing is haunted. However I cleaned the goo up a bit and realised that there were no belts anywhere. Does anyone know where the belts should be running from or to? Full disclosure: I wouldn't know a flywheel from a fidget spinner so I will post a picture, and maybe one of you amazing people might be able to draw in MSPaint where the belts should be. Either that or I'll have to call a priest and arrange an exorcism. Thank you in advance. Hoping to get this beauty going. So much goo though...

Not allowed to post link to photo as I'm a newbie. Msg me for photo I guess

DM me for photo I guess. Cant figure out how to upload one on my phone.

That's becoming a very common occurrence these days. I recently opened my Harmon Kardon cassette deck after it sat for about 3 or 4 years unused. It wouldn't rewind but would FF and play. I found a black blob where the rewind belt used to be.

Its a major pain to pull the drive unit out and put a new belt in, so for now, it plays and if I need to rewind, I flip the tape and FF.

Best of luck.

Worry not. The Capstan belt is threaded like all A series tape decks. It goes on the smaller diameter pulley at the front of the capstan motor then down and around the flywheel and that is it. make sure not to wrap the belt around the hex standoff as that would be wrong. The smaller pulley position is for 60Hz if you are in 50 Hz then the larger position would be correct.
The counter belt goes on a groove of the reel table and then down to the counter pulley. The belts that can be used are 14.5" IC (Inner Circumference) or I have even used the 14.85" from PRB with no problems. The capstan belt and counter belts can be had at Consolidated Electronics or PRB. I don't recall the counter belt size as I select from the large selection I have in stock but the PRB cross reference guide on the internet would have it in there. It is a Pdf file- Teac starts around 90 or so. The PRB says 13.2" and .050 round or square will work.
I have worked on Teac deck for a long time and while I do see liquefied belts in cassette decks the older Teac A series belts usually do not do that.

If you need further assistance you can contact me by PM.
Sam,

Was this a Teac A4300 as the N4308 is a Phillip brand deck of some age ago.
As far as I know and I have been doing this for 46 years so far, there has never been a 4308 deck or mixer made by Tascam- Google can not find it either.

Back