Tascam 424 Power Supply

rennefman

I just purchased an original Tascam 424 without a power supply. Can anyone tell me what the power consumption is for this unit. I notice that the MKII uses 21 watts but I don't know if the original uses that much. I can buy an adapter from Radio shack but I need to know the milliamps.

I'm also looking for a manual. Help.

424 power

a 12 volt adapter works . . . but i'm having a problem with "electonic" hum in my drum traks,
especially hi-hat tones. i'm running everything
through a Furman first, and it's still getting
a strange buzz. anyone? anyone????

I had to build a power supply for a client but when doing so the connection type and pin outs need to be determined. If you are using a coax type power connector just do not plug it in and hope- it needs to be the correct polarity a problem that a lot of WM-D6C owners seem to miss. Then I have to replace surface mount servo chips. Some decks give the polarity on serial tags or on the unit itself. There is no reason that a mistake should be made- find the specs of the original adapter and then make one that is as good or better and everything will fly as if normal.

From my original 424 power supply: Tascam PS-P424
input: AC120V 60Hz 26W
output: DC12V 1100mA
shell positive, center negative (barrel seems to have same diameters as most common effects pedals)

Last edited:
A lot of power supplies can be had at Marlin P Jones and associates or MPJA.com as when I worked at Moody as Chief Engineer a person would often come into my office and ask me where to get one of these meaning a wall wort or DC power supply as they fail all the time. I would examine the specs and MPJA usually has something that would work. If you are using this at home an switch power supply may work fine but a Linear (Analog) supply would be larger but never have any high frequency switching frequency on it. Here is an example of a adapter for 1.5A - 1100mA means 1.1A. The center is positive but that is easily resolved with a wire cutter and a soldering iron and some heat shrink tubing.
People can not be lazy but a little looking around will get what you want.
The voltage is DC inside the 424 so any hum might be coming from a ground loop or if your supply has a lot of AC on it as in ripple.

Back