Tascam 424 mk111

roblluke

I have discovered a problem with my Tascam 424 mk111.
I will record on Track 1 and then press stop and then disarm the track by putting it in safe mode. I will then arm track 2 and press play.
(I can here my recorded stuff on track 1 because i have it switched to tape)
But when I press record the old stuff cuts out and I record my new stuff on both tracks 1 and 2.
I have no idea why...Cos only track 2 is armed to direct.
Can anyone help?

Are you monitoring using the Tape Cue?

When recording to track 2 set as "direct", you have to turn the panpot on the channel to the far right. It will then record only what is plugged into channel 2's input. Odd number tracks, the recording channel's panpot must be turned to the left, even number tracks, panpot to the right. Center the panpot and it will record a mix of the direct channel and anything else being monitored.

eh91311 said:
When recording to track 2 set as "direct", you have to turn the panpot on the channel to the far right. ... Odd number tracks, the recording channel's panpot must be turned to the left, even number tracks, panpot to the right. Center the panpot and it will record a mix of the direct channel and anything else being monitored.
That's not correct. If you are using the direct mode, only what is plugged into the channel 2 input will be recorded to track 2, regardless of where the channel is panned. What you describe is correct for using the Buss L or Buss R recording mode. However, the OP claims he is in neither mode for the track in question, but rather in safe mode. That makes no sense to me. Safe is safe. Or at least it should be! That's why it's called safe.

To the OP, have you tried replicating the same scenario with different channels/tracks to see if it happens again? Not sure what that would prove, but would provide some more clues, maybe...

andyhix said:
That's not correct. If you are using the direct mode, only what is plugged into the channel 2 input will be recorded to track 2, regardless of where the channel is panned. What you describe is correct for using the Buss L or Buss R recording mode. However, the OP claims he is in neither mode for the track in question, but rather in safe mode. That makes no sense to me. Safe is safe. Or at least it should be! That's why it's called safe.

To the OP, have you tried replicating the same scenario with different channels/tracks to see if it happens again? Not sure what that would prove, but would provide some more clues, maybe...

I stand corrected. I've always done the panpot L/R thing, even when not needed. Something is definitely wrong with the unit's direct/safe/buss record switch on that channel. If this is something that has recently occurred, something electrical or mechanical is malfunctioning. Problem is, is the 424mkIII worth the cost of any serious professional repairs or troubleshooting due to the fact that it is discontinued now? Probably not.

tascam 424MKIII

I am curious about the choices of panning when recording. I know that the manual says you dont have to change tracks, just pan odd # tracks to the left, and even numbered to the right.

To avoid confusion, lets say I have recorded something on track 1, than I want to record on track 3, instead of just panning, I put track 1 into safe, and then I buss the source right into track 3 and pan at center.

Is this o.k., or even if I go direct into track 3, should I pan track 3 all the way to the left, or pan in the center.

I just find I am more apt not to make a mistake when I stay away from panning, and run my source right into the track itself and pan it in the center.

Any thoughts?

clevodrummer said:
I am curious about the choices of panning when recording. I know that the manual says you dont have to change tracks, just pan odd # tracks to the left, and even numbered to the right.

To avoid confusion, lets say I have recorded something on track 1, than I want to record on track 3, instead of just panning, I put track 1 into safe, and then I buss the source right into track 3 and pan at center.

Is this o.k., or even if I go direct into track 3, should I pan track 3 all the way to the left, or pan in the center.

I just find I am more apt not to make a mistake when I stay away from panning, and run my source right into the track itself and pan it in the center.

Any thoughts?

Generally, although I don't think it matters, if oyu are using 'direct' mode, I'd keep the pan centered. Now to use the Buss L and Buss R mode, in the scenario you described, keep the pan on the input (channel 1) hard left, put track 1 in safe mode, and track 3 in buss L, and what you record, will only end up on track 3.

One thing I have mentioned here before, but I'll say again is I had an epiphany with my recorder (actually a 424mkii), when I came to realize the difference between "channels" and "tracks." When you are recording, all the stuff that you plug a source, and adjust with faders, pan knobs etc (basically everything on the left half of the machine), are channels - nothing more than any other mixer. However those sounds can be sent to track 1, 2, 3, or 4, depending on your intentions. Lets say you have 4 things plugged in channels 1-4. Anything panned L can go to track 1 and/or 3, and anything panned right can go to tracks 2 and/or 4. If you have something panned centered, if you have, for instance, track 1 in 'buss l' and track 2 in 'buss r' mode, it will go to both tracks. If you have the source track panned 75% right, 75 % of the sound will end up on track 2 and only 25% on track 1.

Also, using this technique, rather than the direct mode, you could record up to 6 (or more? - not sure on the mkiii) sources just to tracks 1 and 2 in a stereo pair. You could put 6 mics on your drum kit, pan them to where you see fit, and record them as such on tracks 1 and 2 in full stereo.

But, back to your original idea - here's what I'd do - pan channel 1 hard left. record your first instrument onto track 1 with 'buss l' selected. for your second instrument, rotate the pan knob hard right. Switch track 1 to 'safe' and track 2 to 'buss r'. Record 2nd instrument. To record the 3d instrument, rotate the pan knob back hard left, and switch track 2 to 'safe' and track 3 to 'buss l'...and so forth. This way, all you are doing is moving the safe-buss switches, and panning knob. if you are recording similar instruments (2 or 3 guitar tracks, or 2 or 3 vocals) you never need to unplug the mic from the channel 1 input, or reset the trim, or fader, or eq, or anything. This also works well, if you recorded a pretty good take, but want to see if you can do it a little better. Just switch to the next track (if they're not all full) and try a second take, without recording over the pretty good one.

Wow, see what happens when you catch me right after lunch - I don't ever shut up....

Back