TASCAM 414mkII Record vs. Playback Level Question

ryan70

Hi - I'm brand new to this forum, and have been reading it obsessively for hours now - so much great info!

Anyway, though I'd post a question of my own. Basically, all the reading I'm doing is telling me to get my signal as hot as possible w/o clipping. So for now, I'm getting the LED's to peak around +4, which I've read is good. I record the track, rewind, and play it back.

Now, the issue: when I play it back, with the fader at the same level, the LED's don't even hit 0, let alone the original +4 they were peaking at. My questions are: is this normal? do you usually lose some volume like this? or am I doing something wrong, like missing some basic rule for gain staging? I've come a long way with all the reading I've been doing about gain staging, but I just can't figure this out. Thanks for any help!!

That much dropoff of levels is not normal.

Clean the head thoroughly & make sure you're using Type II/CrO2/Chrome/High-Bias tapes.

Just as Dave (A Reel Person) suggested, clean the tape path thoroughly (as per your manual which can also be found on the TASCAM site) and use a type II tape.

In addition to the above, when the dbx noise reduction switch is engaged (recommended), you need not hit the meters that high. The advice to "hit tape" as high as possible does not really apply to machines using dbx noise reduction. You will get better results staying around 0db but only for your peaks.

Another thing to consider, and I speak from experience having had similar level issues as yourself, is that cassettes currently made are crap when it comes to quality control. Tapes within the same batch can be either good or bad. Level problems, dropouts etc ..... The only advice would be to make sure your tape path (heads etc..) are cleaned properly after each recording session and that you buy a bunch of new Maxell or TDK type II tapes, make some test recordings and pick the best from the lot. The rest, return for a refund and take another bunch. Do the same.

I've literally tried out every tape currently made and was horrified at the poor quality. My search ended when I bought some NOS Maxell tapes introduced mid / late 70's but long discontinued. I think I have 10 and all of them have virtually no dropouts and the levels are dead on. Current Maxell is hit and miss, perhaps as the result of that black magnetite crap they now use ? :confused: :rolleyes:

I agree that quality tape is a key factor.

I've also noticed in "bench testing" that Maxell XLII-90's were of poor consistency, where one or more tracks would experience 5~7db loss on recording/playback. That's just poor quality, and yes, tape quality and consistency has diminished over the years. Just something to think about.

The best batch of tapes I've used lately were Emtec CE-II-60's and CS-II- 60's, that I purchase in bulk online at www.tape.com. I gotta say, the CE-II-60's are a stupendous deal, @ $2 for 10-pack. WOW!!

Also see:
Maxell XLII 60, 90
TDK SA, SA-X
TDK MA (pro cassette)
Sony CD-It/High Bias
... (Emtec CE-II)
... (Emtec CS-II)
Maxell XLII-S
... (Maxell has a pro version cassette, can't remember, "MS" I think).
...;)

Thanks so much for the replies! I cleaned the tape heads yesterday, and I'm looking into getting better tapes (I am using those Maxell 90's). Thank you!

sorry to cross post link.
I recently got a used (very good condition) portastudio 414mkII.

as mentioned in the other thread there is alot of hiss. the levels are abit low even with the faders and trim levels on max and this is before recording and playback only by feeding in two line inputs from a synth.

is the portastudio supposed to be like this? is there anyway to cut the noise and hiss?

thanks for any help

Yeah, it's no problem. You're not being ignored. We're all busy from time to time.

Anyway, to the best of my knowledge the 414mkII should not have an overwhelming amount of hiss. A little hiss may be present on the recordings, but not so much that it's a show stopper.

The preamps may sound hissy when turned up to "10" with an open mic, and that would also be normal, but when you turn up preamp gain, mix signals and record down to tape, the hiss even then should be minimized, given that you're hitting nominal/avg 0vu levels on the meters. Recording a weak signal to tape will push hiss to the forefront on playback.

The headphone amp may impart a little hiss into the phones, but it should not be distracting or bleed any of it to the actual tape tracks.

You'll have to make sure "dbx" NR is switched "ON", and that minimizes the hiss you'd normally get without it.

You'll also have to use Cr02/Type-II/High-Bias tapes to minimize hiss. Using Type-I/Ferric/Fe02/Normal-Bias tapes will definitely add unwanted hiss. :eek: ;)

Back