tascam 414, mixing hell

lazyboy

I'm going from memory here, but i think a possible problem is that 1&2 should not be in the tape position. Off is one of the other choices on the 414 right, or mic/line on the 414 mkII? depending on how you have them panned, having 1&2 in tape position would bounce them into 3, but not the other way around. Hmmm

Also, is it truly bleeding onto those tracks or are you not monitoring properly? When you're overdubbing, you should have the effect2/tape cue switch in cue position and the button depressed,(all the others should be in the up position), then you control the amount of each signal with its corresponding pot on the channel strip. In mixdown mode, depress the L-r button (Again all others up) set all channels to tape position and adjust the levels with the faders, pan, eq, etc.

Hope I'm making sense, and have been of some help. Any real 414 owners wanna field this one?-lzb

I've got a tascam 4 track, 414 i think, which i just borrowed. I have two questions which i'd love to have answered by one of the 4track geniuses:

1) according to the tascam book, if you're recording a line channel and set the recording selector marked, e.g., 1-safe-L, to the number ('1' in this example) instead of the pan Left setting, whatever you record into that line should only go into track 1, regardless of pan settings on other tracks, I assume. I got to the end of a laborious thing getting a perfect drum sound on two tracks, started to lay down the keys on track 3. I set track 3 to '3' in the recording selector, the other tracks were 'safe' and on 'tape' down by the faders and STILL a good deal of the signal bled onto tracks 1 AND 2 because the pan on track 3 wasn't fully left ! Arrgggh. How can I avoid this. Could someone explain 100% what the number settings do on the individual recording selectors instead of the l-r settings ? the tascam guidebook is kind of a piece..... Can't wait to go digital 8 track.....

2) There's no sweepable mids on the unit, which is o.k. However, for the sake of getting the absolute best fidelity, should you always record tracks with flat eq (12 o'clock position), and then eq in mixing, or also eq the incoming tracks ?

thanks to whomever answers this.

Back