Tascam 34B tension arms

Doctor Spinola

I just got a previously-owned 34B from eBay which works fine apart from the tension / shut off arms. When I took the thing apart to clean it up properly, I found two short lengths of nylon line attached to springs but they weren't connected to anything.
Is there a diagram of how these little suckers are supposed to be assembled? They appear to be complete but have fallen off some time in the past...

Tension Arms

Hey Doc:
I've got an old Studio 388 which is a reel to reel with a mixer.

The tension arms are so weak that the rewind/fast forward modes slow down after a bit of turning.

Not sure if this is the same thing, but when I push the arms up by hand the motors work fine.

I thought I read in this forum about what to do on this problem.

Maybe someone will help us !!

RJ Hagler
High Risk Studios
Cleveland - USA

Dr Spinola, the thread and spring are part of the tension arm damper system, (a mechanical item).

RJ Hagler, your 388 is likely in need of a tension arm adjustment on the Reel/Servo card, (electronic adjustment).

In both cases, although they're minor problems, you'd be best to consult the manual. ;)

A Reel Person said:
Dr Spinola, the thread and spring are part of the tension arm damper system, (a mechanical item).

RJ Hagler, your 388 is likely in need of a tension arm adjustment on the Reel/Servo card, (electronic adjustment).

In both cases, although they're minor problems, you'd be best to consult the manual. ;)
I'd worked out that the string and spring were mechanical. What I was hoping was that someone could tell me how they're supposed to be connected without me having to fork out $50 for a copy of the maintenance manual...

Last edited:
Yeah, I figured that.

The string/spring mechanism anchors to the hardware, then goes up and wraps around the metal cylinder of the tension arm assembly, then anchors again with a spring onto the hardware again. Really insightful answer, huh?

It would be hard to describe this item any further without a picture or diagram. I'll see if I can find one in the manual.;)

Back