Tascam 32

Mixfish

I recently got a 32 and replaced the tyre and belt cleaned the goop and deox'ed the switches and lubed it. Put it back together and in play the left reel tries to revers and the rewind and FF switches do not engage.
Any suggestions as to where I might find the problem would be much appreciated.

You need to load a reel of tape to check for proper performance. The supply reel will turn in reverse otherwise.

Thanks RRuskin
I got it running and works pretty nice. I ordered some replacement bulbs for VU meter, here tomorrow.
I like the sound but I'm working on a 42B that seems a bit better overall. It needs bulbs too and must need calibration because one track is really different as far as input levels and adjusting output etc..

The 32 and 42 are both good machines but the 42 has some better parts and systems in it. Remember that the 30 series was suppose to be entry level cost wise and the 42 was a lot more money but you can probably tell that by the weight difference. One uses regular heads and the other uses Woelke heads. I have had Tascam 42 record up to 50KHz using SM900 tape at 0 Vu inside of plus/ minus 2dB. Just a figure of merit though.
I work on them both and have one on bench 1 now.

Thanks skywaveTDR, I aquired a few decks and If I come to Chicago I will drop one off, maybe the 42, for profesional calibration.

It is best to get the DA513 lamps from JKL as these are as close as you can get to the real thing that disappeared years ago. These are not frosted but that does not matter. I think my next order will be for 400 lamps.
Automotive lamps at .25A will collapse the lamp supply and the mute circuit gets it's voltage to release the mute from there. Wrong lamps means no audio.
T-1 1/4 Special Axial Lead Lamp 8V .055A

Back