Tascam 2488neo hates my impedance adapters

Metal Titan

I purchased the 2488neo several months ago and have been having great use out of it. It's been easy and very pro quality.

However when it finally came time for me to record my own band (I've been recording others as a side- business) I began micing my drum set up to record. I used my SM57s on all 5 of the toms and a Beta 52 on the bass. I then ran those to my 2488, however since I had 6 mics and only 4 XLR inputs I bought 2 femal XLR to male 1/4" TRS impedance adapters so I could just plug into the line inputs.

There was the problem. I began doing the basic tracking to our first song and when I listened back I was upset by what I didn't hear. My 2 floor toms were missing entirely from the mix.

At first I thought the problem was my mics, or the cables, or the recorder itself. After probably an hour of searching I finally figured it out. The recorder simply didn't get a single of any kind from the two adapters.

I'm 100% positive this is the issue I'm facing and I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same issue or if anyone has an idea as to how to fix/ get around the problem.

Help is greatly appreciated of course ahead of time.

I don’t think you need an impedance adapter, just an XLR to ¼” adapter. The trim for all tracks should be pretty close to the same – high – since those dynamic mics put out such a low signal.

just another input, i had that unit...and bought little cable plugs so my gear was only plugging into the cable/connectors and reducing the usage of the 2488 inputs. easier to replace a little cable than repair a jack on that unit.
a sound guy told me that a long time ago...good advice. that 2488 is a great unit, but some of the jacks (like most gear nowadays) is a weaker point and hard to get to repair them.

do you get enough isolation on the drums using 57's and b58?
i cant get anything but crap in my hr room on this live drums.....geeez... drums are a lot of work.....

I purchased the 2488neo several months ago and have been having great use out of it. It's been easy and very pro quality.

However when it finally came time for me to record my own band (I've been recording others as a side- business) I began micing my drum set up to record. I used my SM57s on all 5 of the toms and a Beta 52 on the bass. I then ran those to my 2488, however since I had 6 mics and only 4 XLR inputs I bought 2 femal XLR to male 1/4" TRS impedance adapters so I could just plug into the line inputs.

There was the problem. I began doing the basic tracking to our first song and when I listened back I was upset by what I didn't hear. My 2 floor toms were missing entirely from the mix.

At first I thought the problem was my mics, or the cables, or the recorder itself. After probably an hour of searching I finally figured it out. The recorder simply didn't get a single of any kind from the two adapters.

I'm 100% positive this is the issue I'm facing and I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same issue or if anyone has an idea as to how to fix/ get around the problem.

Help is greatly appreciated of course ahead of time.
if those jacks want a line signal ...... then you need a line signal.
A mic is not one ..... all those adapters do is convert low impedance to high impedance ..... they don't make it a line signal.
You're gonna have to get some kind of small mixer. Plug the extra mics into that and then the mixers outs (which will be line level) into the line inputs.

EDIT: .... I just went and looked and those 1/4 jacks are labeled mic/line so they should be able to take a mic signal.
Is there a place in the utilities where you select whether they take mic or line levels perhaps?

Last edited:
Back