Tascam 2488 Preamp noise

surjer

So my 2488 has started to experience a new problem which is a "noise" that I can only chalk up to the preamps. Thing thats weird is that it does it on every channel on every input. If I arm a track for recording it gets this nasty noise. Its not super loud but its there. I am recording in 24 bit mode and using the same power source as before but i've experienced this noise no matter what location i take it to. Doesnt have to have a mic plugged in to get noisy either. I have cleaned it pretty thoroughly with contact cleaner and that has not fixed the issue. I did have a problem with the little rubber grommets coming out of the XLR connections on the back but I just popped em back in. They got stuck in the XLR cables somehow. Its a pretty tight fit... Any idea's? I have formatted the hard drive and cleaned everything out short of taking it apart. If there is a known trouble spot i am not against taking it apart i just dont want to take it apart with no idea of what might be wrong. (Maybe I should just do it tho?)

Here is an example of the worst channel which is channel "B". Any track I assign to the input "B" experiences this noise. I have raised the level considerably so you can hear it. The sound that you hear that sounds like me turning the dials like a dirty pot is NOT. When i turn the gain up you dont hear the pot make any sounds. You can hear the NOISE get louder but thats all you hear deviate. The waffly static stuff stays consistant throughout the turn of the pot.

Attachments

• NoisyPreamp.mp3
    921.7 KB · Views: 8
Here is an example of the worst channel which is channel "B". Any track I assign to the input "B" experiences this noise. I have raised the level considerably so you can hear it. The sound that you hear that sounds like me turning the dials like a dirty pot is NOT. When i turn the gain up you dont hear the pot make any sounds. You can hear the NOISE get louder but thats all you hear deviate. The waffly static stuff stays consistant throughout the turn of the pot.

Wow mine are so clean I never heard any noise on either my 2488 MKII or the 2488 NEO :confused: are you 2 guys using both the 2488(MKI) unit are what??

TASCAMMAN, it is the orginal MK1 version i am using and this is a new issue. It used to be really quiet but now it isnt. I am suspecting possibly something in the power supply area maybe?
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3f5pj3q0zhhvvsl/9iCWMPh1ID

Ok in the pics I cant see nothing obvious (Im no electronic tech) but I thought of something you might of not thought of. Make sure all of your channels are not assigned to a TK/TKS...?? Also its a good habit to get into after recording a TK(specially with a mic) to un-assign the TK after recording a part. Oh make sure that none of the multi/mic effects are assigned, these are probably things you already know but may not. Keep me informed on your progress k?? :thumbs up:

Back