Tascam 246

Bloozcat

Hi, new to this forum. I thought I'd try some home recording, so I started looking around at what was available in inexpensive recorders for beginners. When discussing the topic with a co-worker, he told me that he had a recorder that he hardly used and hasn't touched in years. It was in it's original box with the original packing. Turns out it's a Tascam 246 and he said he'd sell it to me for $125.00. Sounded like a good deal to me, given that the really cheap ones are at least $150.00 new. My research tells me that this model is still rather well thought of among the analog/cassettee tape users. It sure seems feature laden.

So what do you think?

*It even came with the coveted operators manual, which I'm so going to need*

GRAB IT AND RUN! SERIOUSLY!!!! DON'T PASS IT UP!

Arguably the 246 is the BEST 4 track cassette portastudio ever made! If it's a lower use unit with original box + manual + local pickup, all for $125 = it's a steal!!

I won't argue with that!

.....................;)

Anyway, I believe anything that's worth buying is worth buying several times over,... and that's why I have (3) 246's. (Or, was that 4,... I can't remember,... eh,... I think 4!):eek: ;) I'd not kid you about that! :eek:

The 246 has that classic VU meter styling, nice EQ, monitor & aux section, PLUS, it's the only Portastudio that offers a nice 6x4 mixer, (6-inputs/4-busses), which is superior to most of the newer Porta's you'll find. This is NOT comparable to the cheap $150 model (Porta 02mkII), but it's vastly superior in all ways. This was no cheap Portastudio in it's day,... ($1350/new)!! :eek:

To score a like-new in-box 246 with original box, packing & manual for $150 is a very favorable deal. Like cjacek says, take it & run, and don't look back! I'm a "seasoned" Portastudio user, and I'll vouch that you made a terrific deal. The nicest 246's on Ebay go for $275~$325, depending on the day. I'm happy for you! Good luck!!

Attachments

• fronta.JPG
    fronta.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 65
Thanks for the input guys. I kinda knew it was a pretty good deal when it was offered to me. When my co-worker said $125.00 it was all I could do to play it a little cool and not just blurt out, I'LL TAKE IT!...which is what immediately came to mind to do.

Now to the business of learning and mastering this beast. This is going to be really fun... :D

Tascam 246 Problem.

GRAB IT AND RUN! SERIOUSLY!!!! DON'T PASS IT UP!

Arguably the 246 is the BEST 4 track cassette portastudio ever made! If it's a lower use unit with original box + manual + local pickup, all for $125 = it's a steal!!

I have a Tascam 246 that will not play or FF or REW. the capstan spins when a tape is inserted but when the play button is depressed only the feed reel turns.

Any ideas?

Everton

Rubber refurb.

There are 2 rubber belts and 2 idler tires. When the rubber deteriorates the transport has problems. Sounds to me like you'll need to replace all of it. There's a capstan belt & control belt. The tires aren't readily available, but we've found a variety of similarly sized rubber O-rings will do a good job.

Even if the capstan spins, if the belt is loose it may not hold up under load. Likewise, the control belt is responsible for head up/down action, but it may not be moving the heads all the way up to contact the capstan. If FF/RW does not work, it usually points to the tires which have become sticky.

There are other threads detailing the specifics of a 244/246 rubber refurb. The belts I usually use are (PRB) FRM 11.7 & SCQ 5.6. In plain English, that's Projector Recorder Belts (brand), flat-rubber-medium 11.7" total length and square cut 5.6" total length. I can't remember which OTC o-ring kit I used for the tires, but it was a specific set and the saving grace is that a variety of O-rings will fit because they stretch into place.

The teardown to replace the tires is fairly involved, but the belts are much easier. Most DIY'ers can do it in a few hours.

:spank::eek:;)

Back