Tascam 246: 3rd channel won't record to tape; noise

emeters

Folks,

My third channel will monitor through headphones and show a reading through the VU meter, but when I listen back there's nothing on tape. I'm thinking this has something to do with a connection to the rec/play head, but that's kind of above my paygrade.

Relatedly (maybe?), after about two hours of use, the play function will start sounding noisy on tape and noisy in the room. In the room, it's making a mechanical noise, kind of ticking. On tape, the noise comes through as a distortion. If I shut down and try it again later, after it's cooled off, there's no noise or distortion. Seems like everything has to be warmed up for it to happen.

You guys helped me troubleshoot the idler tires in a previous forum, so I appreciate any insight you might have here.

Folks,

My third channel will monitor through headphones and show a reading through the VU meter, but when I listen back there's nothing on tape. I'm thinking this has something to do with a connection to the rec/play head, but that's kind of above my paygrade.

Relatedly (maybe?), after about two hours of use, the play function will start sounding noisy on tape and noisy in the room. In the room, it's making a mechanical noise, kind of ticking. On tape, the noise comes through as a distortion. If I shut down and try it again later, after it's cooled off, there's no noise or distortion. Seems like everything has to be warmed up for it to happen.

You guys helped me troubleshoot the idler tires in a previous forum, so I appreciate any insight you might have here.

Hi.
I had the same problem with a Tascam 244, ticking noise.
It was bad Ground to chassis on a pcb.
Is the ticking noise the same as the LED flashing ?

Back