Tascam 244 help, weird issue with track 1 playback

Nihil Void

Hello everyone

Recently a me and a friend picked up a Tascam 244 (mine) and Tascam 234 (the friends) from a guy, both are in near new condition (mine has the original box and everything) and both have an excellent service history from new.

However after I brought my 244 home to test I found a weird issue with track one. It appears to record fine and it passes audio in “mic/line”mode fine but during playback it makes a very loud thumping/beating sound and the vu meter goes along with it.

I have a video but as this is my first post I can’t link it, DM me for the link

I do electronics repairs on instruments but I have not worked on many tape machines and I’m not sure what could be causing this or where to start? If anyone has had this issue before or knows what it might be I’d appreciate the help.

Also I’ve tried other tapes and the same issue occur.

I’ve been using the other tracks in the meantime but I’d really like to sort this out.

Thanks
-Alex

When you say New that means unused maybe but it is certainly not new and there are many years that came and gone since this was made- I would suspect a dirty switch of a feedback loop you may be causing. There can be defective electrolytics in it at this point. To say for sure what it was I would have to look at it and find the problem.I worked on those in the 80's when they came out so now it is about 35 years old or more.

Back