Tascam 22-2 Reel 2 Reel - Play won't work

sostewie

Hello,

I have a Tascam 22-2 I've owned for 20 years. In the past it has worked great. I recently got it out to play some old tapes and found that the play button doesn't work. The tape lift doesn't engage and the tape doesn't move. The capstan is moving so I know that motor is running. FF and rewind work too. This is a great little tape deck and I'm hoping I can get it working again. I'm not sure what else to look for in troubleshooting. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

A deck put away for that many years can not be in that great of condition as far as a capstan belt and lubrication of the capstan bearing. In addition the X-3 which this design is from is known for a failure of the reel drive switches and pause switch which all signals go through- it is normally closed.
I repair these decks all the time and I also have the design to correct the reel motor switches if burned out to relays and I install this mod. When the relays get int the deck, it's design starts to more closely look like a A2300S deck which over many years has had no reel motor failures like these.
It is up to you but if you want it working like new you will need to have it services and there are not that many guys left doing this work. There is myself, Russ in NJ, Gerhard in FL, and I am training more guys remotely as we go. Soon I will have Hari in the Chicago area to help me. There are other coming on line soon. Arnold in TX has been making progress but I am not sure he has worked on reel decks yet- he will be doing it soon I feel.

Even after all this sitting time you could even have Electrolytic capacitors not up to par in the power supply.

Back