TASCAM 1804 stability

hummel

I'm looking at buying my first audio interface. The 1804 would meet most of my needs. However, in reviewing various on-line discussions, several people have raised serious issues about driver stability under Windows XP. But, most of these comments are about 6-12 months old. Can anyone offer up-to-date comments about stability? Thanks.

Sound on sound reviewed this unit and said the drivers were "reliable" (read here). It seems like a decent interface, and fits exactly what i need.

I have an 1804 as part of my portable recording rig, and I have recorded hours and hours of stuff with it without a crash or any other issue.

The only thing I have noticed is that with cubase, if you happen to start cubase without having the 1804 on, it will switch back to a default ASIO driver.

Then the next time you start cubase, even if you have the 1804 turned on, it's inputs won't show up, until you select the FW1804 ASIO driver instead of the default. This is a firewire thing though, because cubase does the same thing with other FW interfaces that I have used.

I have an 1804 as part of my portable recording rig, and I have recorded hours and hours of stuff with it without a crash or any other issue.

The only thing I have noticed is that with cubase, if you happen to start cubase without having the 1804 on, it will switch back to a default ASIO driver.

Then the next time you start cubase, even if you have the 1804 turned on, it's inputs won't show up, until you select the FW1804 ASIO driver instead of the default. This is a firewire thing though, because cubase does the same thing with other FW interfaces that I have used.
Thanks for this response. I was starting to worry...

Thanks for the reassurance, amra. A couple of follow-ups:

1) Are you running a Mac or a PC? If a PC, is it XP or Vista?

2) How portable do you find the 1804? It doesn't run off bus power and seems designed for a rack mounting. Made me think it would be a pain to move it around.

Thanks.

I have used it with 2 or 3 different PC's, all with XP SP2.
Regarding the portability, I have it in a Gator 8 Space rack case, with some compressors and a power conditioner. It's pretty handy. I just grab that case and another one with Mics and cables and stuff, and a PC and go.

Back