Synching a tascam 388 to pro tools

taperocket

Hi, I was wondering if someone, particularly Reel Guy could help me here. I want to synch my 388 to my Digi 002 rack so that I can track on my 388 and synch those tracks to tracks in pro tools. What type of device would I need for this and is it available? Thanks in advance.

Pro who?

Heh.

The 388 will sync through SMPTE, and it would require a compatible SMPTE synchronizer unit w/cables. Given the proper equipment, the 388 can do master/slave sync via SMPTE, to as many units as you have synchronizer capacity for. That's for full functioned master/slave sync via SMPTE, to any SMPTE capable device. For cabling you're in DIY land, and you'll need specific Elco 50 pin large connectors.

There's also a less complex sync setup, in which the 388 would be what's known as a code-only master for MTC. Midi Time Code is output to a compatible Midi Tape Synchronizer unit, and the midi compatible device chases it. Code-only master for MTC is a bit more streamlined a setup than full SMPTE connection, and requires NO special multipin cables. The MTC is output of track 8 directly on RCA connector. Lots of musical devices, instruments & puters sync to Midi. The Midi setup is probably a bit more common these days. Pro Tools should be capable of being configured to chase the Midi timecode coming off the 388, as a code only master, and would probably be your sync of choice. Midi Tape Syncronizers would be the Tascam MTS-30, MTS-1000, and probably a couple model numbers in between. Midi Tape Syncronizers are made by other mfr's like JL Cooper.

SMPTE was designed with more capability and was aimed more toward sound-for-picture production, but it will work in strictly audio-sync configurations. SMPTE sync setup is more highly capable in functionality, than MTC code-only-master operation. There are Tascam synchronizers that should do SMPTE sync with the 388. I haven't determined every detail or model number, yet. I'd recommend seeking a Tascam/Tascam brand compatible equipment, for the SMPTE sync solution.

I believe you'd be looking for a MTC solution to sync to Pro Tools, and I'd probably be looking for a SMPTE solution, but it's all the same between friends.

There was a user on a post over at www.tascamforums.com who said he'd successfully sync'd two 388's. If I can locate this post or user name, I'll forward the info, because he'd be the one to ask about sync and the 388. TBA/TBD. :eek:

Of course, there's the given assumption that you use track 8 to record the timecode, with both protocols.

/DA

Last edited:
Thanks! I guess I'll need to start looking for one of those MTC synch units. So in that case, how would my set up work, Like when I played back on the tascam pro tools would automatically play back and vice versa? I'm new to the whole synching idea, thanks for all your help again!

I've tracked the person down & PM'd him.

It's Utribe on the www.tascamforums.com bbs. He's the one who alluded to successfully sync'ing two 388's.

I PM'd him, asking if he could give me specifics on getting the 388's up on sync, and to provide as much detail as possible.

Now, I await a response. Whatever I find out, I'll forward to all you guys, here. I know you, myself, Herm, and probably others have been wondering about sync and the 388, for some time now.

Could you imagine,... 4- 388's in a row, sync'd together in a giant 388 mega-plex? What a sight that would be!!!

So, I await a response,... anxiously.

Unfortunately,...

the reply I got was, "another guy hooked this up for me when I was out of town, so I don't have a clue, other than it was a a Tascam synchronizer."

Sorry, this lead has reached a dead end. I'm sure the answer to which Tascam SMPTE synchronizer is best, is just around the corner.;)

I'm going to NecroThread here for a little bit and we'll see where it goes.

So now, 10 years after this thread was made, I'm running Logic Pro X along side a Tascam 388 with a Motu 896 (the original version) and I'm looking to do some syncing. I run a 388, a 133, and logic, and I like mixing on each of them equally for their own little reasons, but I ESPECIALLY like doing a live mixdown to the cassette while simultaneously getting raw tape outs from the 388 into logic and preserving the tracks there. So here's my question:

It should be easy enough now adays, to send the SMPTE code to track 8, track a ton on the 388, and then dump all 8 tracks back into logic and sync up the SMPTE tracks after the fact? True? Logic Pro X says that it work as an SMPTE synchronizer, but I feel like I should take that claim with a grain of salt.

I'm going to NecroThread here for a little bit and we'll see where it goes.

So now, 10 years after this thread was made, I'm running Logic Pro X along side a Tascam 388 with [] (the original version) and I'm looking to do some syncing. I run a 388, a 133, and logic, and I like mixing on each of them equally for their own little reasons, but I ESPECIALLY like doing a live mixdown to the cassette while simultaneously getting raw tape outs from the 388 into logic and preserving the tracks there. So here's my question:

It should be easy enough now adays, to send the SMPTE code to track 8, track a ton on the 388, and then dump all 8 tracks back into logic and sync up the SMPTE tracks after the fact? True? Logic Pro X says that it work as an SMPTE synchronizer, but I feel like I should take that claim with a grain of salt.

Hey,
Can you please let me know if it worked for you ? I have just purchased a Motu 828es in Order to sync the 388 with Logic pro x.
I'd really appreciate some tips..
Many thanks!

Back