Restoring a TASCAM 124 AV cassette recorder

Lucky Epstein

Hello!

I purchased recently an old cassette recorder, it's a TASCAM 124 AV, ca 1980 I think. It has a broken rubber distribution strap.

This model has a particular head system, it's a two-tracks system, not a standard stereo cassette recorder.

I need to know the exact dimensions of the straps. Do you know this model? What was its mission in a studio?

Thanks for any information! :)

Hey,

You may have already tracked some down, but if not, check with Frank from Studio Sound Electronics (studiosoundelectronics.com). He helped me with a whole batch of Tascam cassette belts recently. He can either cross reference the Teac part numbers or get the belt requirements from a model list he keeps. You can also measure what's in there, but if they're like many of my old ones, they may have already turned into black goo.:(

Ebay always has kits available too, but you're looking at a difference of two or three bucks from a parts supplier vs. $20 or so for a generic kit which may or may not last about the same amount of time. FWIW, I bought a couple exact replacements from Teac at the same time I ordered from Frank, and they seem thinner and weaker (maybe even old stock). They were also about 8 or 10 bucks a piece.

Take Care,

George

-and sorry for the plug, but the guy went well out of his way to figure out what some of the oddball decks needed over several emails. Figure he deserves the business as much as anybody.

BTW- I get that 124 mixed up with that weird "3-track" thing (133). Someone in town coincidentally offered me a 124 a while ago. From what I've read, it's pretty old. It's sort of an early multitrack cassette from before the four track days. Probably similar scratchpad duty for getting ideas down (you can dub vocals or something alongside an existing mono track).

On the downside, some of the caps in one of the 1980's Teac cassettes I was restoring had dried up enough to knock out a significant amount of low end. I'm slowly getting to the other machines and hoping they aren't as bad, but keep in mind the belt thing may be only one of several issues. This particular machine was probably ten years newer than a 124.

Take Care

Back