Recording a Brass Band on DR100MKIII

ResidentGeekUK

Hi all,

First up, newbie alert.. I've just come on board here, so apologies for any numptiness I may bring.

I have the TASCAM DR100 MKIII and currently a pair of matched Rode M5 1/2" Cardoid Condenser Mics to use for recording the brass band I play in (plus lots of other things eventually). It's a basic setup but I was wondering if anyone has any experience of recording a full "British" Brass Band in this way, who might be able offer a few tips for getting the best out of it? It will mostly be in rehearsals but also live concerts rather than studio conditions.

I was wondering (to get the full balance right) whether to find a way to use 4 x M5's (or more) strategically located around the band formation (28 players including tuned & kit percussion in a horseshoe shape consisting of two rows). Or, would I 'get away with' positioning the 2 xM5's at the front of the band or in the middle of the horseshoe? My concern would be those further back or on the outer row will not be as balanced as those nearer to the mics.

If going for a 4 mic setup, any recommendation on a good, but reasonably budget middleware mixer to bring the 4 mics into the two XLR ports?

Many thanks in advance and I look forward to learning a lot from you all (and hopefully contributing myself)

Absolutely two mics and above the centre where a conductor would stand if you have one. If you're set out in the classic British Brass Band format, then the balance is almost set for you with the bigger and louder instruments further away. I'd put the pair of mics in classic X/Y position maybe 8ft above the ground aimed at front row head height, so when they are sitting, the second row angle and the front row angle are bisected. Depending on your layout, you may need to open up the normal 90 degree angle a little to avoid missing the outside players, but this of course creates a hole in the middle, but depending on who is 'in' the hole, you may be able to just slide them sideways out of it. You need a set of well sealing headphones or even in-ears to experiment with the exact positioning. If it's at all possible, drag in a pair of speakers to use in a side room if at all possible so you can really hear the blend. Headphones are pretty poor at this. Speakers reveal problems much better.

If they are amateurs in different ability groups, you mighty need to find a tactful way to move problem players. The cornet player who has more volume but poor technique, or the euphonium player who is quiet on some notes and blasts on others. In my experience, Salvation Army bands can be particularly tricky as it seems common to have a really wide mix of abilities - down to those players who have a very limited range and only play the notes above or below a certain ledger line in their music. Tact and diplomacy mean usually you have to lie. "You have a really nice instrument but your neighbour's one is quite strident - can I just move you back a little so I can hear you properly - a little bit of separation will help me record much better?" They then feel happy shifting backwards where they will be quieter and their wrong notes less obvious. If you have a small drum kit, make sure it doesn't rattle. Other trouble spots are those with borrowed instruments who have crushed velvet pads on the valves, so when they close a valve it makes a quite obvious 'clack' as it hits bottom. If they do make mechanical noise, a small square of electrical insulating tape sitting on the top of the valve that stops the top coming down and making metal to metal contact can really help.
In a typical non-treated space, any extra mics will be ridiculously tough to blend in as distance changes X/Y into a sort of X/Y plus A/B

Brilliant feedback, thanks Rob!

Our bandroom is a small village hut really so brilliant for finding otherwise "hidden" playing issues but very compact for recording in. My next job is to mount some permanent shock mounts to the wall just behind the conductor so I can quickly set up and get them at a good height (your tips taken on board of course), that way no clumsy ones can trip over them either plus the players will eventually forget they are there ;)

We are a first section contesting band rebuilding after hitting hard times about 2 years ago. It's a good boost to confidence both for those 'lesser' players who have come on board and not sure they up to it, but also for the longer standing more capable players to hear the band progressing back to what it was before.

Good test will be in a week or so when we are in our local parish church both for rehearsals and a concert. It is 30+ times the size of the band room and acoustically beautiful (almost perfect conditions I think).. Will have a good experiment there.

Thanks again, I do tend to overthink things sometimes :)

I know the problem so well - a friend of mine started a band about ten miles away 5 years ago, and I was going to record them when they got really good. With the constant swaps in membership, he tells me they're near ready - but been saying that for a while now! Sounds like you're on the right lines!

Back