Quiet track on Tascam 4track

Pirateking

I have a Tascam 4-track that I got five years ago. I'm not sure what model, because I'm at work and the 4track's at home, but looking at the Tascam web page it looks most similar to the 414 Portastudio, though it is black and has flat dials instead of tall ones. Anyhow, for a couple of years now, I've had problems whenever I'm recording on track 4. Everything I record there comes out much quieter than on any other track and slightly muddy. It doesn't matter if I'm recording directly onto track 4 or just bouncing onto that track, I still have the same problem. Any suggestions?

I don't know, but is there a "Sync" button somewhere, like on the back (a button to link the TASCAM to a sequencer). In the case of my 464, this button effectively disables track 4. If there is such a button--turn it off, swashbuckling one!

The only "sync" button I'm aware of is hooked up to the noise reduction (which can be set to on, off, or sync) and I keep on sync all the time anyways. Maybe that is what's causing the problem, but it doesn't seem like it would. But it's something to try. Probably it just needs a good internal cleaning or something.

Interesting, but I'm a little confused. You're saying the noise reduction and sync are all on the same switch. The only reason to have sync switched on is if you are doing MIDI. If that's the case, then your 4th track SHOULD be disabled--you cannot record on track 4 when sync is switched to on. However, if it's the noise reduction you're after, switch it to that. Do NOT switch on sync unless you're doing MIDI.

I kind of hope this isn't the problem, because I'll feel like a real idiot. I've been recording with that on for like two years. Oh well.

Well, how do you think I know this? I sent back two portastudios before I found out! Between your two years and my three portastudios, I think we've got it covered. And there are others out there--they just won't admit to it! Cheers and good luck.

Just thought i would thank ou guys for making these posts................. now i finally know what my sync button is good for!

My 424 is the same way. In the ON position, noise reduction is on for all channels. OFF is obvious. and SYNC turns noise reduction on for channels 1 thru 3 only. 4 is left for MIDI sync codes. The normal position is ON.

Back