question on Tascam 246

vragle41

I don't really know enough about this type of equipment to know the right questions to ask. I want to record and add additional instruments/an/or voices one at a time. I need a multi track recorder that will allow me to play back one track and listen to it while recording on another track at the same time. Will the 246 permit this?

The 246 is made for over-bubbing / multitracking. Yes, you can record one track and then come back and record additional tracks - overbubs. That's what all multitrack recorders are for. The 246 is an older TASCAM model that was state of the art in the mid-80s. I had one way back when And t was an awesome machine. They still sell on ebay regularly for $200-$250. My concern is that if you buy one, it might be worn out, cuz its going to be old. You might want to check out the TASCAM 424, 424II or 424III. Keep reading and good luck

I'm an avid Portastudio person, since the beginning,

so even though I might consider myself a Portastudio 'expert', this is only my opinion.

The Tascam Portastudio series of recorder/mixer combo is exactly what you need, to achieve your musical production goals, and more.

The basic Portastudio is based on a 4-track cassette recorder, but goes up to 8-track, too. Mixer section varies considerably, from 2 to 8-or-more inputs between models.

Tascam invented the Portastudio format, and Portastudio is a trade name of Tascam's. All the other porta-studio-like devices, such as Yamaha and Fostex, are clones and 'me too', aftermarket devices, which may be functional, but trust me, all the innovation in real Portastudio design has been done by Tascam.

This is the Tascam forum, so it goes with the territory, but for the most part, I'd stay away from the non-Tascam porta-studio-like devices, and stick with Tascam Portastudios, the 'real' Portastudios.

4-track/Portastudio production is a lot of fun, and I recommend that everyone does it.

The basic Tascam Portastudio line has consisted, usually, of a low-end, mid- and high-end design. Models, by year, have varied considerably.

Currently, the brand new Portastudios that are available are the 424mkIII, the 414mkII, and the Porta02mkII, w/the 424 being the high-end model. These are the only Portastudios that are available as new. These are all good machines, and worth getting, however, I'd not recommend going below the 414.

However, blah blah blah, sorry to go on, but I'll conclude by actually answering the question.

I agree w/the previous post, in that the 246 is an awesome 80's vintage machine. I'd also agree, that some of the 246's, and/or any other vintage tape machine of that age, might need a little maintenance.

However, overall, I don't think that with the 246 you're looking at an entire class of machines needing maintenance. Most do not.

You're just as able to get a mint 246 now, as you ever have been. With a gigantic transition to digital, the 246 and any analog recorder can be bought CHEAPly, used.

Also, if a Portastudio-class recorder needs maintenance, it's typically the rubber parts that will wear out, and not the recording head. Rubber belts and rubber parts do wear out, after about 15-20 years, and replacement of belts is relatively minor maintenance, especially for the DIY'er.

A lot of Portastudio machines you'll see floating out on Ebay, are not necessarily worn-out junkers. Some are junkers, true, but a lot of these machines are well kept, mint gems, of which little real wear has been incurred.

Not only am I a fanatical Tascam gearhead, but I'm an avid Ebay watcher and buyer. People may disagree, but I think you really can tell the general overall condition of a device, with a clear photo. You can definitely tell if it's near-mint, or a dusty old beater. A photo tells a lot about the gear, and the closer, the better.

I won't go on at length, any more, but I base my opinions on experience using Tascam Portastudios since the 244 ['82], which I still have, and also the fact that I've picked up many used and vintage Portastudios, like hotcakes, to the point of literally becoming a Portastudio/Tascam collector.

I record on Portastudios, and have repaired Portastudios, probably much more than the 'average' person, whatever that means, ahaha. In this age of digital frenzy, I'm still a big user, and booster of the 4-track cassette, in production.

Digital may be everyone's favorite gimmick, but there's something staid, solid, trustworthy, reliable, and 'earthy' about a 4-track cassette. As compared to most digital devices I've seen, the 4-track cassette Portastudio is almost like an 'organic' thing.

Ok, enough with the cliches, haha.

I have several Portastudio models, including the 244, PortaOne, 424mkII, 424mkIII, [234 Syncaset], and the 246.

I'm not a huge fan of the cassette 8-track Portastudio, but I think the design of the 488mkII is probably the one I favor most. I'm a little concerned about less headroom on the narrower 8-track cassette format, but I'd assume the overall sound quality is quite decent. I'LL possibly get into 8-track cassette Portastudios, as a sideline, at some later date, but it's not my basic format.

My basic, favorite format [in Portastudios] is the 4-track cassette.

Specifically, regarding the 246, I think it's the most excellent design, which is definitely a cut above the 424, or anything that's available as new.

There's something that's a little more complex on the 246, which is a 4-BUSS technology, which is, technically, a lot more flexible w/signal routing, than 2-BUSS models, like the 244, 424, etc.

Long story short, IMHO, the 246 may be the BEST Portastudio design, used or new, and no, you're not getting a brand new machine, but there are still quite a few low-hour, well kept, near-mint 246's out there, to be had.

I have bought 2 mint/cherry 246's, just this year, and they're the real prizes of my Portastudio collection. Neither one needs maintenance, and both worked great, right out of the box.

There's definitely a higer level of technology in the 246, than in the 424, and you definitely get more bang for your buck w/the 246. They may be technologincal features that you're unfamiliar with at this time, but the 246 has plenty of open flexibility to grow with you, as your production needs change and mature.

BTW, The 246 is a much sought after collectible, among audio geeks [like me], for this, and many other reasons.

---------------------

The 246 is an awesome Portastudio design, which is literally hard to beat, in new or used gear. It's definitely a Portastudio worth having, and seeking out, over and above the rest of them.

----------------------

The 246 is the design that's classic vintage good looks, VU meters, easy functionality, etc, with the 4-BUSS mixer section, which definitely puts it a cut above almost every other 4-track Portastudio, [w/exception of the 644 and 464, which are LCD-display-type Portastudios].

----------------------

Good luck, and long story short, is if this were my first Portastudio purchase, I'd either get the brand new 424mkIII, or hold out for the 246, and nothing in between, or better yet, step up to the 388 Studio 8, which is 'the bomb' of 'portastudio-like devices'.

-At ~85+ lbs, Tascam wouldn't dare call the 388 a 'Portastudio'. The 388 is the "Studio 8", but like a Portastudio on STEROIDS.

I'd even get a 246, and have a little maintenance done on it, if necessary. BTW, I'm a DIY'er, and can do much of my own Portastudio maintenance & repair, which helps a lot, and I understand that everyone cannot to that.

By my first hand experience, I'd say that most of the maintenance needed on vintage Portastudios is minor.

Typically the capstan/drive belt needs replacing, which is very minor, and almost anyone can do that repair, but sometimes the pinch-wheel and other internal rubber parts are affected, which is a more highly complex repair, and is better left to the HARDCORE DIY'er, with repair experience, [like me], or leave it to TASCAM SERVICE.

-----

Being the Portastudio user and collector, I'd recommend each of the Portastudio models I've previously mentioned: the 244, 246, 424mkII, 424mkIII, [234 Syncaset], as being the 'best' Portastudios, with the 246 being an example of a higher level of Portastudio engineering, perhaps the 'best of the best' CASSETTE 4-track, w/the 1/4" reel 388 being the king of them all.

The 246 is definitely one of my favorites, and I regard it as one of the best Porta's, ever. It's alone in it's class, in that it shares it's basic features and design more with the Tascam 388, 1/4" 8-track "Studio 8", than with any other cassette Portastudio.

Most other cassette Portastudios out there are 2-BUSS mixers, with the 246, 464 & 644 being the only 4-BUSS Portastudios.

A 4-BUSS mixer section gives you LOTS more signal routing flexibility than a 2-BUSS mixer.

Further, the 246 is the ONLY 4-BUSS Portastudio with VU METERS. In that respect, the 246 is alone in it's class.

BTW, the 464 and 644 are fine, vintage, 4-BUSS Portastudio designs, but it's just that I'm not a fan of LCD-display-type machines. Other people may prefer LCD displays, or may not care, but I prefer the 'classic' design of machines like the 246, with real VU meters. Second best, is the LED-type display on the 424mkII/III, which is highly visible, but lowest on my list is the LCD-display-type machine, which I find a little harder to read and see.

---------------

That's all I wanted to say.

--------------

No, I'm kidding, I could go on! Haha!

Last edited:
Thanks for the great feedback. This is a good forum, particularly for a beginner like me. I got answers to questions I didn't even know to ask. I missed out on the 246 but am looking at a Tascam 424 now. I'll be back!!

-The 246 can still be found, used, so keep checking Ebay for the occasional 'mint' 246 that may be floating out there, from time to time. Mint 246's, as well as any other Portastudio design, may still be found on Ebay. As with any used gear sale, online or not, buyer beware. An experienced person, like myself, who knows what to look for, may be ok, but an inexperienced person may have trouble determining what is good condition, and/or a good deal for a vintage Portastudio. Prices and condition of used gear varies considerably, from day to day, on Ebay. Buying used gear in person is always preferable, whenever possible.

-The new 424mkIII is an excellent design, and there's definitely something reassuring about getting a brand new recording device. There's that factory sealed freshness, pride of first-time ownership, and 1 year service warranty too.

-As new Portastudios go, hands down, the 424mkIII is the top of the line, and the way to go. You really can't go too wrong, with a brand new 424mkIII.

-As used Portastudios go, it's very hard to beat the 246 on sheer technical merit.

-Another great used Portastudio design is the 424mkII, which is v'97, and features a flatter shape, and top-mounted input/outputs, as opposed to the 424mkIII, which has all it's inputs/outputs on the back. The 424mkII is another favorable design in Portastudios, available only used, of course.

-The KING of all-in-one porta-studio-like devices, is definitely the 388, but at almost 90 lbs, it's portable, yes, but not very portable. Unlike actual Portastudios, you don't just throw the 388 under your arm, and go. Part of the true beauty of the true Portastudio is it's small size, and throw-it-under-your-arm portability. The 388 doesn't have the true portability of an actual Portastudio, but it's in the same class of porta-studio-like devices, and is definitely worth checking out, used, of course. Mint 388's may still be found, used, on Ebay. The 388 is another awesome Tascam design, that's awesome to own and use, and is another much sought after Tascam collectible, which may be gotten cheaply, used, and in otherwise good condition. Don't ask me how many 388's I own, but it's 'more than one'. I recommend the Tascam 388 as an awesome porta-studio-like device, that's worth seeking out, and getting, over an above many other used recording gear.

-Good luck & happy recording. Keep us posted on what you decide, and/or get. /DA

Thanks for the additional feedback. Do you have any words of wisdom regarding a Tascam 488 portastudio?? ( is that a dumb quiestion or not?) It sounds like more machine than I need but if the price is right and it is user friendly, I can handle it. For someone that knows as little about these units as I do its nice to find someone that has a little experience and is willing to share it. You mentioned buying from E-bay in person. Thats hard to do when you are in the middle of west Texas. By the way, Do you really collect these things or just have need for a lot of them to use? Best Regards

-I have no first hand experience w/the 488, but I'm fairly familiar with it, in general.

-Well, the 488 is the 8-track cassette Portastudio format. I'd recommend the 488mkII over the 488 std. The 488mkII has a more modern look, much like the 424mkII, and also has [2] XLR mic input connectors, which is handy, if you're using XLR cables & mics, which [I think] most people do. XLR mic inputs are considered a higher quality feature, than 1/4" phono-plug mic inputs, in general.

-I agree w/you, that if the price is right, the 488mkII may be a nice unit to have. The 488mkII is average $375-$475, used, but would be a real deal at ~$300, if you can find one that low.

-West Texas? Is that desolate, or what?

-Well, I do have practical use for the tape drives, mixers and Portastudios I've bought,... or at least tentative use for them. Like many other 'normal' people, music & recording is just my hobby, and I have limited time to play & record. I do play and/or record whenever possible, which I admit, is not quite often enough. So, the answer is: yes, I have some practical use, and/or plans for practical use of all my recording and musical equipment, and: yes, as it turns out, it's quite an impressive 'collection', too.

Thx vragle, & good luck. I hope you find what you want, and the choices are many. Keep us posted on your progress.:)

Well, I got me a Tascam 246 on its way to me. It was reportedly used for about 6 months then replaced with a Tascam 488. The only problem is that there is not a manual with it. I was wondering if 'a reel person' might have a manual and if I could talk him out of a copy of it.

I also found a Tascam 424 on e-bay that I picked up for $110. I got a manual for that one from the Tascam web site. When I get these in my hands, I may have all kinds of questions so you folks out there that know something about this business so get ready for some questions from the new kid on the block. Thanks again for all of the feedback.
One other question?? Is there a good book on the market that might be used as a guide for someone new to multitrack recording?? I was thinking about something like "Multitrack Recording for Dummies" or something like that , or is it best just to jump in and find out what its all about. (sort of like we do new software.)???

I think you should just start recording... be creative and try and try again... I think most things you cannot learn out of a book, but are just a matter of doing it and doing it again...

Ofcourse you can ask things though if you can't find it out yourself but just try first...

!!!!!!!!!

vragle,

I'm glad to hear you found a 246 and also a 424, so you're off to a great start! Keep in mind, that to the Newbie, all this technology will seem a little complicated, but after a while of using it, and experimentation, it will seem very simple. [You're right, the manual helps a lot, especially to the Newbie].

After my glowing review and recommendation of the 246, I really hope you agree with me how great the 246 is, and that you're not disappointed, in the least. By scoring a 246, you're going 'vintage', true, but technical features on the 246 are better than on most other Portastudios.

The 424, also being an excellent Portastudio, gives you LOTS of recording flexibility, when paired up in the studio with the 246. They can be used separately, or together,... one home unit and one road unit,... or for an 'external bouncing' operation,... and many other fun recording stuff, limited only by your imagination.

Scoring TWO Portastudios is great, and I told you prices on used gear are very favorable,... it's practically a buyer's market. I'm very happy for you. There are many choices w/Portastudios, and with a 246 and a 424, I think you made two very good choices.

Tascam Parts still sells manuals for it's older equipment. They take credit card orders over the phone. Tascam Parts is at (323) 727-4840. Manuals for this type of equipment averages $25-$30, plus shipping. Keep in mind, there are usually two separate manuals, the USER's manual, and the SERVICE manual, of which some information in these manuals will overlap. For your average user's needs, you'll need the USER's manual. For any more in-depth maintenance, beyond normal cleaning, you'll need the Service manual, which is usually targeted at the repair tech or DIY'er.

-The 246 is a great unit, as proclaimed over & over by myself, and I hope you're very happy with it.

-The 424 is a very fine unit, and I was wondering if it was a 'standard' 424, a 'mkII' or maybe a 'mkIII' model. The 424 std, mkII and mkIII are all very similar to each other, and also very easy to use.

-Part of the basic premise of Portastudio design, is to bring sophisticated features in recording to the home user, and still make it as easy as possible to use. Some features and function will be obvious, some will become obvious after a little usage, and only a few features and functions actually require a manual.

I have manuals for all my equipment, and if you're so inclined, you may email me at d.archuleta@att.net and we may discuss that further.

BTW, there's a few good books on home recording.

One I remember is "Using Your Portable Studio", which is well written for the Newbie and experienced user too, geared toward the Tascam Portastudio user.

There are a few similar types of books, of which I cannot remember their specific titles. If you weren't in W. Texas, I'd just say, go check them out at your local Guitar Center.

Otherwise, maybe go to Amazon.com, or Barnes&Noble.com, and also the musical equipment-specific websites, such as musiciansfriend.com, and SEARCH on "recording" or "home recording". You'll come up with several titles.

Good luck!!

Back