Question for DP32 owners regarding setting stereo tracks as mono tracks

Cratinus

Howdy. Been mulling over picking up a used DP32. I just had a couple of questions for you owners regarding changing stereo tracks to mono tracks. I think that if I got one of these units I'd probably like to set it up as 12 mono tracks and 8 stereo pairs. I realize (via page 40 of the manual) that you can set any of the stereo pairs up as a single mono track. When this is done does the metering in the LCD change to what looks like a mono track (aka a "skinny" meter as opposed to the wider "stereo pair" metering)? Also...does the number below the meter change? In other words (to use a more extreme example) if I set ALL the stereo tracks to MONO would the track numbers now read 1-20 (or are they still seen as 1-8 and then 9-31)? Lastly (when changing stereo pairs to a mono track) is this a "global" type of setting or is it "project" based? In other words, if I set up the unit for 12 mono and 8 stereo pairs on a project...save that song...then start a NEW song will those settings be remembered or will it default back to 8 mono tracks and 12 stereo tracks? Any info appreciated. Cheers!

Any help on this one appreciated, folks. Not a big deal (either way)...but I'm just thinking that from a visual standpoint the metering (mono vs stereo) per track might make monitoring levels a little easier (at least for me) if I were to change a few stereo pairs to mono. Cheers.

Any help on this one appreciated, folks. Not a big deal (either way)...but I'm just thinking that from a visual standpoint the metering (mono vs stereo) per track might make monitoring levels a little easier (at least for me) if I were to change a few stereo pairs to mono. Cheers.

When you change the assignment of a stereo track to mono, the output is shown as a single bar in the display, however the numbering at the bottom of the screen doesn't change.

Altering any track assignments from default, is only relevant to the current song and not a global change.

If you convert a stereo track to mono before recording, you will still have the same functionality such as panning etc.

While the manual states that you can't record two instruments on a stereo track, that is not actually entirely true. I use PC Drummer Pro for most of my percussion work in the home studio. In this program, I can export every part of the kit as a separate wav file. Once I copy the files to the Audio Depot, I then assign each wav file to a track, so I end up with say the Ride cymbal on track 9 and the Bell on track 10. Also track 11 is a Splash Cymbal and track 12 is a Crash Cymbal. You could for instance record a mono guitar track on track 1 and a mono keyboard on track 2, then by connecting the unit to your computer, you could copy these out, rename each and load them back to the Audio Depot and then assign them to a stereo track pair left and right.

I have had my DP-32 for about 2 months and am very impressed with the results I am getting. I managed to get the unit with the CD burner and with the midi ports on the back and would advise that you shop carefully to ensure you get this version. While midi might not be important, it is handy for connecting a drum machine and the burner makes things a lot easier when it comes copying or importing files.

I suggest you read the user manual over and over as you start to see the strengths once it sinks in. The Pro Audio DVD is currently listed at $29.95 which is good value and going by the shorts of this on the Tube and feedback, appears to be very helpful. I was contemplating purchasing a copy, however, if you have previous experience with physical multi-track units and understand the general concepts, it only takes a month or so to become very familiar with all functionality, so save the money and enjoy the learning process.

You will get great results with this unit, but like everything, it's all about pre-planning and taking your time to do everything correctly on the way in.

Alex

When you change the assignment of a stereo track to mono, the output is shown as a single bar in the display, however the numbering at the bottom of the screen doesn't change.

Altering any track assignments from default, is only relevant to the current song and not a global change.

If you convert a stereo track to mono before recording, you will still have the same functionality such as panning etc

Thanks for the reply, prankster. You confirmed pretty much what I suspected about the unit. More research to follow. Cheers!

I very rarely use the stereo track function, the one thing to watch is set the mono/stereo before you record, it erases the track when you change it. :D

Back