Problems with my Teac / Tascam 80-8

needledrop

I’ve posted this a few places so sorry if you come across it twice.

I’m about to start recording our next album so I’m trying to get my Teac 80-8 in good working condition. A few problems have popped up since I used it last.

1st – now matter what button I push ff,rew rec, or play , it ALWAYS rewinds?

2nd- The braking isn’t working. When I stopped the tape from rewinding about 30 sec, it snapped the tape in half.

3rd- When I reset the tape counter it gets stuck.

Also another thing I noticed when I opened it up, is behind the impedance roller . there is a flywheel, but theres no belt connected to it. Is there supposed to be?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
This machine sounds great when it works and I’m determined not to give up on it.

While I'm not sure about a couple of the issues you have with the 80-8, you do need to replace the capstan belt and also the pinch roller. (Yes, the flywheel is for the capstan belt, which is then attached to the capstan motor). You may get a lot more (and complete) replies by posting in the Analog Only forum below.

It sounds as if your 80-8 is loooong overdue for a service. Can you imagine owning a 30 year old car which was never serviced? :eek:

Thanks for the reply cjacek
So i lubed everything and sprayed al her electronics down with deoxit, cleaned the roller and belts with rubber cleaner and the tape path with head cleaner, she seems to be working fine (for the moment??? )
As far as the belts go, i guess it wouldnt hurt to replace them, i was just a little thrown when I saw a flywheel with no belt, but I guess theres no belt on the flywheel thats behind the impedance roller,........ just the capstan flywheel and the counter wheel get a belt right?
thanks again

Yes, the capstan belt sits on the large flywheel. You really do need to replace the pinch roller and belt.

Back