Problems with the MARK SET and AUTOPUNCH functions DP-24

TECHNINOT

Dear Appreciated Helpers,

I'm having real difficulties utilizing the MARK SET and therefore AUTOPUNCH functions on my beloved DP-24.
I have to use all kinds of ruses to get my INs and OUTs set in order to do a PUNCH-IN. The button action of the
AUTOPUNCH itself is getting strange. Sometimes I have to push it two or three times to get it going.

Also, stranger still, sometimes my singing and/or playing before a punch-in gets recorded - replacing the previous recording!

I think there's a real bug in my machine now but I need a confirmation before sending it off to the repair shop.

Can anyone help me with this problem?

Once again, I thank you for any and all assistance you may be able to provide.
Your aid has been precious to me in the past and has helped me learn how to use this wonderful recording tool.

William

I use the Mark Set function a lot on my DP-24 and lately have also had problems where I have to push the button more than once to get the mark to work. It doesn't do it all the time...........just occasionally. For some reason..........and it could just be my imagination..........the more tracks............saved tracks.........or data in general I have built up in a song.......the more the mark set function has to be repeated to work. I don't seem to have the issue on a brand new song setup in the early going. It hasn't gotten worse so I'm just living with it.

I have the older 2488NEO. Over time several of the buttons I use frequently have gotten inconsistent with their operation. Evidently dirty or something. I had read of someone using a careful squirt of DeOxit contact cleaner from the top of the machine down the side of the button. This did fix the button operation, but I do expect it will need to be repeated at sometime. May not be the issue here, but a possibility.

Thank you gentlemen.

I will try to find some of this wonderful DeOxit contact cleaner for future use but in the meantime I think my DP-24 has got a real problem.
I tried using the Delete Unused function to lighten the load, then I deleted ALL location marks. With a lightning-fast button manipulation I nabbed the IN mark, however even with much positive thinking and begging, it took me at least two minutes to place the OUT mark for a simple AUTOPUNCH operation. I do a lot of punching in and out so all this is becoming quite a nuisance, and THERE'S MOREß! As I mentioned in my initial post, sometimes my voice or guitar is getting recorded before the PUNCH-IN, and as I mentioned in an earlier post, the INPUT B simply doesn't work. All this means, I think, that during the repair time I will just go off with my guitar into the forest not too far away and "get acoustic" :-)

Thank you once again for all your educated and generous help.
Wiliam

In the manual there is a section called "Deleting unnecessary audio data from a song". Not sure it would help, but if the problem you've been having has been getting progressively worse, perhaps it may help. Just be sure the data you delete, you want to delete.

Edit: Reread post.....
I tried using the Delete Unused function to lighten the load
I'm guessing I maybe suggested what you already did. Just slightly different wording from the manual :)

Last edited:
Have you updated the firmware? If you haven't....do that now. If you have........before sending it off for repair.............you might try to reinstall the latest operating system software. Firmware can act up in very strange ways. Good luck.

Mr. Mickster,
Your last response may well have been a true inspiration. I updated my firmware to v115, started a new version of a tune I had been working on and had saved to a Playlist: so far, so good. (Of course, as you mentioned, sometimes everything goes just fine at the beginning...). Anyway, if this solves the problem it's going to be a real blessing 'cause I love recording with my Tascam DP-24 :-). Personal question - do you work with DAW materials as well as your DP-24? I like your sound a lot and I love your song ONE MORE CHANCE.
Once again, THANK YOU. William

Mr. Mickster,
Your last response may well have been a true inspiration. I updated my firmware to v115, started a new version of a tune I had been working on and had saved to a Playlist: so far, so good. (Of course, as you mentioned, sometimes everything goes just fine at the beginning...). Anyway, if this solves the problem it's going to be a real blessing 'cause I love recording with my Tascam DP-24 :-). Personal question - do you work with DAW materials as well as your DP-24? I like your sound a lot and I love your song ONE MORE CHANCE.
Once again, THANK YOU. William

Glad it's working for you William!! A firmware update can solve a lot of bugs. Make sure you are always using the best SD cards too. I do use Reaper for a lot of DAW work. I transfer lots of DP-24 WAV's back and forth for work with the great plug-ins Reaper has. I appreciate the compliment by the way.........thank you......but that particular song is one of the first I ever recorded............with very little knowledge......and by no means my best effort.

Back