problem with hiss on my Tascam Porta Mini Studio..

Gavin

I'm getting a hiss when the power is on. Even when nothing is plugged in and the tape is not running.

Anyone know why there would be a hiss coming from my Tascam Porta Mini Studio 5?

I had a Portastudio when I started like 4 years ago, I remember having a lot of hiss too, especially when I was monitoring through my headphones.
But for mix-down I connected the unit to a computer with the line-outs, and got no hiss at all.
So probably the hiss in also just in your monitoring-bus.
Try somethings out, and let me hear if it isn't.

It's called tape.
;)

Actually, I remember my Tascam having a really loud and hissy headphone jack too. But the mixdowns were always pretty clean. Probably just the design of the amp.

thanks. I'm mixing down from my headphones. The headphones were giving most of the hiss so I've been told. Unfortunately my line out on the Tascam is not working so i can't use it.

no offence dude, im dutch remember, some jokes i don't see as jokes cause i don't understand it and blablabla.
for 'the rest of your post'; you just agreed with me, didn't you, so..

yeah... look at the time of our posts, 2 minutes apart. I was writing that before you posted, so sorry I repeated what you said...

Gentlemen, please......

If that's a Porta 05 we're talking about hiss is the least of your problems. Wait until you get a good, hot mix going and the thing starts rumbling & crackling like an old tube amp with bad filter caps.

Those machines had a major design flaw in the mix bus. I had a tech work on mine to make it better, but it still freaks out if you run the faders above half-way with good, hot tracks.:eek:

Some hiss is normal when idling if you've got the gain up. Those ain't exactly high-end circuits in there, ya'know? :D

true.

I'm buying a mixer and going to go straight to 2 track so that i can record our jam sessions.

Gavin said:
true.

I'm buying a mixer and going to go straight to 2 track so that i can record our jam sessions.

You'll learn a lot more about mic placement, levels and EQ doing it that way. It'll probably end up sounding better in the long run as well.

:cool:

M.Brane said:
You'll learn a lot more about mic placement, levels and EQ doing it that way. It'll probably end up sounding better in the long run as well.

:cool:

yeah it may take some time setting up the levels, eq and panning but once that's done and set all we would have to do is plug in and play.

Back