Portastudio 464

clawhammer

Hi, I just was given a Tascam Portastudio 464. It did not come with a manual, but I have ordered one from TEAC. I was wondering
what the name of a good, low cost microphone would be? I currently am playing Clawhammer style banjo with a fiddle player and guitarist. It is all acoustic. I would apprciate any info on the types of tape to use, type of mic's best suited for acoustic music, and any other info on the use of a 464. I have no prior knowledge of recording techniques. Any help would be appreciated.

HEY! CLAWHAMMER
HOPE I CAN BE OF SOME HELP TO YOU.BUT FIRST I WOULD LIKE TO ASK YOU A QUESTION??
WHAT IS CLAWHAMMER STYLE BANJO ??
I USE TO PLAY 5 STRING BANJO NEVER WAS THAT GOOD, BUT I LEARNED A FEW SONGS.
NOW AS FAR AS TAPES ARE CONCERNED I ALWAYS USED WHAT WAS RECOMENDED FOR MY TASCAM 424.
TDK HIGH BIAS SA-60.
MICROPHONES, IVE ALWAYS USED SHURE MICS SM-57 OR SM-58 BOTH VERY GOOD MICs AND CAN BE PURCHASED FOR UNDER A $100.

YOU ORDERED THE MANUAL FROM TEAC GOOD MOVE.
I THINK THE MANUALS ARE VERY GOOD NOT TO HARD TO UNDERSTAND. PAY CLOSE TO THE INFO ABOUT SIGNAL PATH ITS VERY IMPORTANT.
AND READ THE MANUAL OVER AND OVER UNTIL YOU UNDERSTAND IT FULLY.

SURE TAKES A LONG TIME TO GET A QUESTION ANSWERED HERE. IAM NEW HERE MYSELF. HOPE I WAS OF SOME HELP.

JIMIMAC

Back