porta two problem!

lloydd

hey folks
just got a porta two (not 02) and im having some trouble as im new to all this

i put a tape in and now it seems stuck. on top of this the play and record buttons arent doing a thing. every other button works.

as you can imagine im really keen to get recording on this machine so id love to hear back from anyone who might be able to help

oh yeh, also if anyone knows where i can find a pdf of the porta two manual that would be great. the only place i found one was on ebay for $15 and i dont want to spend that on a pdf.

thanks, lloydd

Hey there Lloydd,
Is the tape stuck because the tape heads are engaged?
I recently got myself a Porta two ministudio, and had a similar problem, but i took it to a few electricians and one of the guys fixed it all up for me... he said that all he had to do was replace some of the belts inside the head mechanisms. Works like a dream but i'm still trying to get my head out of the ones and zeros world of recording.

Is your Porta-TWO the one with the four VU meters on the top left?
I'm also trying to chase down a manual for the little beast... hard to come by.... i think that i should be able to work it out, but the manual would make life much easier...

if i come across one i'll let you know... could you do the same if you cross paths with one?

Cheers
Sasha

Hey Guys
I realise this is an old thread. I've just bought a second hand Porta Two (large version VU Meters etc). I got it super cheap because the tape heads were permanently engaged. A quick google search came up with a guy that had the same problem and how to fix it (although his was a smaller Porta Five?). Anyway, I opened it up and under the tape heads is a large flywheel type roller with a belt. I turned this gently by hand and the tape heads popped back to where they are supposed to be. I've fired it up and it records nand plays fine. All I need now is some idea how to use it!!! There are lots of crackles and scratchy hisses when dials are moved so I'll be investing in some contact cleaner I quess. The only thing was the screws are incredibly tight like they are factory loctited or something (unless they've been undone already). Hope this helps, Good Luck!

Thankyou thankyou thankyou railway surfer spent about 4 hours after taking porta to pieces and thinking
thinking surfd the weba nd found things close then came upon your suggestion and bingo it works.
thanks again
eco

No worries man, hey check Diggy out on this forum, or check my old posts and you should find a link to a manual that I scanned for him to post. Hope it helps!

Happy to be of assistance, starting to get a handle on how to use mine now, bands in limbo so I'm starting a recording project!!! It should be fun.

Back