Pinch (rubber roller) roller for Tascam 38

TASCAM MAN

I need a pinch roller for my 38 and they are wanting $80 for one on e-bay HIGHWAY ROBBERY!!! Anyone knows where I could get one for at least a 3rd the price of that?

I need the same thing for a TSR-8 and its also like $75-$80.
I was going to try Tascam directly, although I have concerns (valid???) that their NOS rollers are going to not last or be just as bad as the one I am replacing.

Anyone have experience with Tascam suppled old stock rollers??

Well I haven't tried anywhere else but do remember once stumbling upon a website that made rubber rollers... NOS? "after market" you mean? and yes it would be worth both of us checking with Tascam and "after market" companies and see what we come up with. I myself don't think that we should have to pay more than $35 for them !!! But e-bay sellers are getting worse and worse on gauging prices!! When they "part out" a machine, E-bay should not let them do that cause if you would buy a whole machine "parted out"...for example say the street value of the whole machine was $300,by the time you would buy every part separate it would wound up costing you $3000 !!! Anyways I'll keep looking for a source and you do the same and see who finds the best deal first just post back here ok? Good luck for both of us hahah :thumbs up:

Nos is "new old stock"....the term for avintage new unused part madeby or for the original equipment manufacturer. There is a guy called terrys rubber rollers who remanufactures any pinch roller you want, but again they are like eighty bucks. I will tryu tacam directly on monday

Nos is "new old stock"....the term for avintage new unused part madeby or for the original equipment manufacturer. There is a guy called terrys rubber rollers who remanufactures any pinch roller you want, but again they are like eighty bucks. I will tryu tacam directly on monday

Ok since I posted last I think I wound up on Terrys site and e-mailed him for a price for both our machines but I think it is around $40 ;) I'll let ya know ASAP when I hear back from him :)

The TSR8 I just got needs a belt too...got that coming hopefully today. Once I ve got that sorted out and the machine lubed and cleaned I 'm going to be hot for a pinch roller.

Sadly, if youve got a machine thats nice and all you need is that damn roller, youll pay the 80 or whatever

The TSR8 I just got needs a belt too...got that coming hopefully today. Once I ve got that sorted out and the machine lubed and cleaned I 'm going to be hot for a pinch roller.

Sadly, if youve got a machine thats nice and all you need is that damn roller, youll pay the 80 or whatever

haha but the pinch roller is not the only problem on mine :( but man I still cant see paying $80 for a dang pinch roller !!! :rolleyes:

haha but the pinch roller is not the only problem on mine :( but man I still cant see paying $80 for a dang pinch roller !!! :rolleyes:

So the guy hand makes replacement parts that are no longer available from the supplier, and you think $80 is too much? I was just glad that someone out there in the world could be bothered to make the part in the first place.

In my day job I look after spare parts for an old remote power station (not on a grid and very remote) and nobody will even talk to you for less than $150 hr when trying to get old parts fixed or made up.

Alan.

So the guy hand makes replacement parts that are no longer available from the supplier, and you think $80 is too much? I was just glad that someone out there in the world could be bothered to make the part in the first place.

In my day job I look after spare parts for an old remote power station (not on a grid and very remote) and nobody will even talk to you for less than $150 hr when trying to get old parts fixed or made up.

Alan.

No Alan that is not what I said. I said I saw a 38 used are whatever on e-bay that someone wanted 80 bucks for and YES that is a RIPOFF !!! But I found Terrys Rollers that does re-tire them and he wrote me with a quote to re-tire my 38 one for 35 bucks and that is exactly what it is worth to me , no more no less ;)

No Alan that is not what I said. I said I saw a 38 used are whatever on e-bay that someone wanted 80 bucks for and YES that is a RIPOFF !!! But I found Terrys Rollers that does re-tire them and he wrote me with a quote to re-tire my 38 one for 35 bucks and that is exactly what it is worth to me , no more no less ;)

Oh! Sorry TAscam Man. :facepalm:

Terry says 35 plus shipping for the TSR8 puck. It's in the mail to him as I write.

It occurred to me that the $80 rollers on epay and other places included the metal core and bushings etc. With Terry you are only paying for a re-tread, not a whole new piece.

Got the new belt put on last noght, so now waiting on the roller

It occurred to me that the $80 rollers on epay and other places included the metal core and bushings etc. With Terry you are only paying for a re-tread, not a whole new piece.

Got the new belt put on last night, so now waiting on the roller

When I ordered the replacement for my MSR16 from Terry, the deal was to send the old hub to him so it could be re-rubbered, as I was overseas he did not worry about the exchange and just sent me one already done. The metal does not wear out so you are effectively getting a new roller. I have heard that Terry's rubber is a better product than the original as far as being in spec.

Alan.

Yeah, I'm hoping "better than new" is the case. Once I get this one sorted out I'll probably send him the one from my Ampex 440C. Rollers not sticky...just the opposite...its hard a a rock!!!!
"

Terry says 35 plus shipping for the TSR8 puck. It's in the mail to him as I write.

Got the new belt put on last noght, so now waiting on the roller

Yeah but nobody needs but the rubber part anyhow cause that's what wears out right !?!!?

My 38 had a gooey pinch roller. i work at a company that makes tooling and does tons of molding in different materials. I had the machine shop build the tooling for the 38 pinch roller. I used a proprietary compound that we developed here and the roller is happy now. Heck you can even clean it with alcohol, whiskey, diesel fuel or what ever.

What Im getting at is I think Terry's price for re-treading a pinch roller is quite reasonable what with the costs involved in getting set up.

*edit: and NOS (new old stock) isnt worth much as the rubber used in those originally has a shelf life of five years or so. If you found one made in 1990 its 23 years old already.

My 38 had a gooey pinch roller. i work at a company that makes tooling and does tons of molding in different materials. I had the machine shop build the tooling for the 38 pinch roller. I used a proprietary compound that we developed here and the roller is happy now. Heck you can even clean it with alcohol, whiskey, diesel fuel or what ever.

What Im getting at is I think Terry's price for re-treading a pinch roller is quite reasonable what with the costs involved in getting set up.

*edit: and NOS (new old stock) isnt worth much as the rubber used in those originally has a shelf life of five years or so. If you found one made in 1990 its 23 years old already.

Yeah I knew that Terrys quote of $35 for re-tiring my 38 rubber roller was well worth that but I need to hurry and send it and get it on my machine LoL !!!

Last edited:
Back