Patch Questions: Tascam US 1800 & Behringer 2442FX

dbossman

The question of the day:What typically do you do when you have unbalanced outputs feeding balanced inputs?

Hello,

I am just getting my feet wet with a new Tascam US 1800 and Cubase 5LE. I have a question regarding the patch cables or suggestions for patching. I am running drum condenser mic's to channels 1-6 (XLR, Phantom On) on the US 1800. I have patched the vocals to US-1800 channels 11-14 via the mono channel insert of my Behringer 2442FX mixer. The problem I am having is the ouput level from the channel inserts is very low and can't seem to match the direct connects (drums) as far as volume/level. If I plug directly into one of the US 1800 XLR inputs I have plenty of gain. I have also tried patching out of the 2442FX using Aux, Sub, Direct Outputs... Same result. I barely get any gain or level to work with from the Cubase 5 LE channel adjustment.

After further research, I see the channel inserts, Aux, and Sub outs on the Beringer are all Unbalanced and the inputs (11-14) on US-1800 are Balanced. I tried all the output options with mic'd guitars running through the 2442FX into US 1800 channels 11-14 as well as trying to patch (from 2442) into channels 9-10 (1800 Instrument inputs) and toggled Bal/Unbal switch. Still not much change. Note that I have used both balanced 1/4" patch cables and unbalanced instrument 1/4" cables.

The main question I have is what type of cable configuration should I be using? I saw a few blurbs in the 2442 FX manual that suggests jumper the wiring R(ing) S(leeve) on one end of a TRS connector while leaving the other end TRS. Have any of you had to build a custom cable where you jumper Ring, Sleeve? I would prefer to buy the correct cable but can't seem to find any in this configuration. I also want to make sure this is a viable option as the Behringer user manual could use a little more detail or I need to produce more brain cells. Neither will happen so am looking to you kind souls out there for some input.

Thanks,

dbossman

Back